ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Encoding for DVD in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Letizia MargoEncoding for DVD in After Effects?
by on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:50:11 pm

Hi there! Long story short, a client asked me to make a slideshow DVD of their products for a trade show. It's going to be played in an HDTV, but to my understanding DVDs are only SD so I'm a bit confused how I should encode my video. My first thought is just to encode it as MPEG2-DVD and burn it as such, since there's no point in making it HD if it's just going to lose quality anyway.

Just in case the client still asks for HD, how do I encode for HD in AE? I read somewhere that I shouldn't choose H.264 and a long Google search didn't really point me in the right direction...

If I make an HD file and burn it to a DVD using iDVD will it make a difference?

Any tips would be welcome as I'm very new at this. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Encoding for DVD in After Effects?
by on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:10:47 pm

iDVD will NOT do HD. Why? iDVD can't make a Blu-Ray, and ONLY Blu-Ray is capable of HD. Thus, you're making SD DVD's. To fit on the 16x9 screen of an HD TV set, make a 16x9 DVD.

Just to keep things simple -- and better-looking -- I would Render (don't export) your AE work from the AE Render Queue as a quicktime in the PNG codec. In the Render Queue's Output Module, don't forget to turn on the audio if the comp contains audio.

Then use the resulting file in either iDVD or Compressor to make the mpeg2 & ac3 files for use on the DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Encoding for DVD in After Effects?
by on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:59:39 pm

I recommend using Adobe Media Encoder to create the DVD files. You can add a composition from After Effects to Adobe Media Encoder; in After Effects CC, you just use the command Add To Adobe Media Encoder Queue.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Encoding for DVD in After Effects?
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:16:45 pm

Another angle - since DVD is standard definition and doesn't always look so great on an HD display, and no doubt the client wants a nice rendition of their products showing on the trade show display, why not go with an HD workflow? Skip DVD.

Encode to HD using H.264 (.mp4 file) and for playback into the HDTV, there are many options. Many HDTVs now have a USB port. Insert a USB stick with the video clip on it. Or get a Western Digital WDTV device (or similar) player box with HDMI output (under $100). Use an Android tablet or iPad to play the HD video, using appropriate HDMI adapter cable into the HDTV. The HD video will look SO MUCH BETTER on the display than a DVD.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved