ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wrap a video clip around an object in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bisi oladWrap a video clip around an object in AE
by on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:08:35 am

I am trying to learn how to fit a clip or segment of a clip around an object or fit into a billboard in an image or even one that is in another video clip.

I have seen this video effect in movies, musical videos and commercials. I have searched without luck. The closest I saw was bending in AE and exporting as fly into flash where the work was completed.

But if AE can't do this trick, I will appreciate knowing which video tool is capable of doing so. Thanks for your pointer and/or tut.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Wrap a video clip around an object in AE
by on Jan 22, 2014 at 2:43:11 pm

It depends upon the shape you're trying to wrap. Fitting to a billboard is a simple matter of corner pinning, and often motion tracking if your camera is moving. Wrapping around an object would be called texture mapping, and if you're on the CC version of After Effects, you've got Cinema 4D Lite and Cineware to help do the job.

Another option, if you're still on CS6, which I am, is to use Video Copilot's Element 3D. It's a simple matter to set a layer in your comp to be the texture (in the Element menu) and then use that texture to wrap the object in the Element interface. Do a search on "Texture mapping in after effects", and you'll see quite a few different methods, depending upon which version you're using, and which plugins and third party packages (I use 3DS Max) you have on hand.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved