ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Light shaft/beam work-arounds please.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon PriceLight shaft/beam work-arounds please.
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:28:33 pm

A few things to note:
I working on an AE project whereby no plugins can be used. Please do not suggest the use of a 3D program to do this properly, I'm hoping for an AE work-around. Any help will be massively appreciated. Working in CS6. :)

I am aiming to demonstrate way light refracts through a prism (

I have constructed a 3D prism by rotating squares and triangles - this exists in 3D space. I have set a spot light against the prism. However, I cannot see the origin of the light, not it's ray/beam of light. I understand this is just the way it works in AE, only displaying the surface reaction to the light, but I would like a solution if possible.

I have tried using 'beam' effect, but this does not appear to work within a 3D space (it flattens) and it doesn't point from a distant position, to the prism in the 3D space.

I would like to be able to animate the camera, from the flare of the beams source, travelling along and reaching the prism.

I'm not looking for hyper realism, just a nice diagrammatical way to show it.

Also, if anyone has any ideas how to best replicate the rainbow colours out the other side I would also be open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Light shaft/beam work-arounds please.
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:40:24 pm

This may help. A script that simulates light volume and source that works in 3D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved