ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon Waitmaneasy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 10:56:26 am

I know this is probably a naive dream, but I was wondering if there is some sort of application that enables fast, easy migration of adobe production premium CS6 from my old computer to my new one? (without manual re-install) Probably not, but thought I'd ask before I start the process. Thanks.

PS: Any tips in general for quickly, easily moving files, applications, settings from one computer to another (both Windows 7 64-bit) would be greatly appreciated as well, although I know this is not what this forum is specifically for.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:15:05 am

[Lon Waitman] "I was wondering if there is some sort of application that enables fast, easy migration of adobe production premium CS6 from my old computer to my new one? (without manual re-install) Probably not, but thought I'd ask before I start the process."

Nope. You must re-install on the new machine.

[Lon Waitman] "PS: Any tips in general for quickly, easily moving files, applications, settings from one computer to another (both Windows 7 64-bit) would be greatly appreciated as well, although I know this is not what this forum is specifically for."

Creative Cloud allows you to sync your application preferences. This is a very cool and somewhat underrated feature.

I bounce back and forth between several different computers. I use Dropbox to keep all my files in sync. This includes an "Installers" folder where I save the installers for apps I frequently use.

I generally view a new system as a clean start, but I'll mention that Acronis True Image Premium has a feature for using disk imaging to migrate from one PC to another.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:23:11 pm

I'll toss in my 2 cents here, coming from an IT background.

I've 'ghosted' several machines - the process of copying one entire system drive to another PC, just to save the time of re-installing Windows and all programs again. I've also done many, MANY total reinstalls. With ghosting, you bring all of the headaches and potential headaches from the old machine right to the new one. Generally speaking, Windows works best for a while after a fresh install. After months or years of installing and uninstalling programs, Windows Updates, etc., inconsistencies between system files can develop, either causing current problems, or setting up for trouble when given a totally new hardware configuration to try to work with.

And I'm only talking about programs like Microsoft Word and Excel. I'd be very hesitant about ghosting a system with software as complex and persnickety as an editing suite.

Do yourself a favor, and set up the new machine along side your current one if possible. If you'd planned on using the keyboard and monitor(s) from your old machine, then share them between the two while you load the new one with software using a KVM switch.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:54:50 pm

Steve and Walter are right on the money. I just transitioned from an old machine to an HP Z800, and what saved my sanity was that I kept the old machine up and running, right on the floor below the new one, and networked.

That way, when the several "Oh Sh..!" moments hit me, I could quickly move the missing presents, plugins, licenses, what have you, quickly. One thing which helped out - I had one of my media drives from the old machine, and had put my Temp folder, where I keep all of my plugins, scripts, presets, etc. as backup (as well as on my Drobo). Once I got the new machine up and running, I just popped the media drive into the new machine, and everything was there, ready to be installed. Also write down plugin license numbers, and bear in mind that some plugins are one machine only, so you have to uninstall the license on your old machine, then reinstall and re-register the license on the new one. With 3DS Max, they have a very nice license transfer, where you upload your old license to the Autodesk site, then download it to your new machine. Slick!

Since my old machine was right on the floor, I just ran a VGA cable to my monitor (which has switchable inputs), and didn't need the KVM switch. Just kept the old mouse and keyboard on top of the old box - a bit of juggling, but it worked just fine. Allow a couple of days for the stuff you're going to forget - also really helpful - an Excel spreadsheet with a full list of programs, plugins, drive locations, serial numbers, etc. You'll be amazed at the important stuff you'll forget to move over...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:06:31 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "also really helpful - an Excel spreadsheet with a full list of programs, plugins, drive locations, serial numbers, etc. "

Fantastic point. I'm currently keeping all my serials in a notebook in Evernote. I highly recommend having a system that you can stick to for storing serial numbers, registration information, and license files. Every single purchase goes in the database the same time I authorize it with the installer -- that way, nothing ever gets lost.

(Sidebar: I've started using OneNote to hold my project notes and I'm thinking of switching to that for everything, but I haven't done it yet.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Lon WaitmanRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:20:46 pm

you guys are awesome! i will take your great advice. thanks so much for the quick, helpful responses!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:53:41 pm

Here's more information about the feature to transfer settings that Walter mentioned:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/05/sync-settings-features-in-after...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Lon WaitmanRe: easy, fast migration/transfer of adobe products to new computer?...
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:21:21 pm

thanks, todd!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]