ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

twisting line formation problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Millingtontwisting line formation problems
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:41:46 pm

Hi everyone, I seem to be totally beaten on my current project. Something that seems so simple but is proving hard. I need to create a 3D flowing line formation that consists of 40-50 thin lines that twist and turn around and around like a ribbon. I've tried using Trapcode 3D stroke but because of the repeater I have no control over it twisting.
And with Trapcode Form i have the opposite problem, no control of choosing where i want it to twist. I've now starting trying to get something in Cinema 4D but I am hitting my head against a wall now. I have to replicate the attached picture, anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: twisting line formation problems
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:27:25 am

Here's a method that will get you pretty close using Trapcode Stroke. Create a solid, and make a simple sine wave mask path. Add stroke and turn on the repeater. Make the instances 20, Make the Z displacement 0,X displacement 24, X rotation 3, Y rotation .5. Enable taper. Animate the X transformations a few degrees. Add a camera, attach it to a 3d null and rotate the null 360 degrees on X.

Here's a sample project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Steve MillingtonRe: twisting line formation problems
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:19:16 am

Hi Jonny,

That's great thanks, I had got as far as that but never thought to use the comp camera rotation. It's great for some shots but our client is also after some bigger more detailed formations that twist in some places but not the whole thing and they want it to break out and do a loop. I shall probably be having a look at this in C4D this morning.

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved