ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam rocheParticular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:41:35 pm

Can it be done? Ive made a matte of the same footage highly contrasted in black and white to use particular to emit from this layer, whilst using the original footage layer to get the rgb values. Can it be done? Thanks, Adam

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Particular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:17:46 pm

if you have the matte layer applied to the footage layer in a precomp, it think you should get what you need...

particles will only emit from the solid/non-alpha portions of the footage, but can be set to use the rgb color from the footage for the particles

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Particular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:35:03 pm
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:39:23 pm

You can't assign to different layers control the particles in particular(Colors and emission). You will need to combine in a precomp per kevin's suggestion.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

adam rocheRe: Particular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59:11 pm

Thanks guys for replying so quickly. I hadn't thought of using the matte in a precomp. I figured it out shortly after posting, and instead of emitting from the black and white matte, I emitted from the original footage allowing me to get the correct colours, and found under the Visibility drop down menu there is an Obscuration layer which then you can select the matte layer and it will not emit from the alpha areas in the matte.

Seems crazy there isnt an easy way to emit from a layer and get the rgb value from another layer?

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the fast response

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Particular - Emit from a layer & use a different layer to get the RGB colouring
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:14:48 pm

[adam roche] "found under the Visibility drop down menu there is an Obscuration layer which then you can select the matte layer and it will not emit from the alpha areas in the matte."

The obscuration layer does not control the emission of particles but rather affects the visibility of particles. If a particle lies on the other side of the obscuration layer from the camera then it won't be rendered.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]