ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Still Photograph Motion Slow Motion 3D Effect (like in Google Zeitgeist | Here's to 2013)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony PerlasStill Photograph Motion Slow Motion 3D Effect (like in Google Zeitgeist | Here's to 2013)
by on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:52:06 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to after effects. I came across this ad from Google called the "Google Zeitgeist" and I'm impressed with how they made the 3D effect. I've seen similar effects on some programs, namely that Microsoft program that lets you upload multiple photographs and it creates a 3D rendering to it. I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to 3D (probably not as much as the "professional" out there.

In short, I'd like to basically reproduce the effects shown in this video using after effects:

The time sequences start from 0:26

Effect #1
You will notice a static photograph with a blurred background from the beginning. There's a few people wearing teal, a few white and mostly red. From the lady in on the right hand side of the screen and to your right (her left) you see a person cut off quarterly and the lady has a marathon. One can conclude that this photograph is from a race.

You will notice as the camera pans downwards as if the camera was physical present in that race and it's increasing upwards.

Effect #2
Soldier's are carrying an old person off what seems like the Philippines typhoon as the camera zooms out. Again, it's a static camera zooming out.

Effect #3
A man is throwing up the baby holding a flag. It's also rotating the camera as if the camera was moving.

My question how to reproduce these effects on a still photograph using after effects. Does anyone have any pointers for tutorials to accomplishing something similar if not exactly how it is?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Still Photograph Motion Slow Motion 3D Effect (like in Google Zeitgeist | Here's to 2013)
by on Jan 19, 2014 at 1:24:04 pm

Couple of different things you can search for to find this effect, 2.5d, or "the kids stays in the picture" effect(Name of a movie that popularized the technique). The effect is done by masking out the different elements, building and filling in the background for the parts masked out, then layering/rescaling them in Z space. You can help yourself out by finding photos that have good layering that's easy to separate. Also photos where filling in the background isn't going to be hard will help too.

Here are some tutorials.
Virtual 3D Photos
127. The Jungle

Google Search on Kid Stays in the Picture effect

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved