ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extruding text into infinity with Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Byelong
Extruding text into infinity with Element 3D
on Jan 18, 2014 at 7:16:22 pm

Hi.

I am struggling to find a solution to this, and it may not be possible but Is there a way to extrude your text in Element 3D in AE into infinity like a superhero effect, so it disappears into Z space.

I have played around and have had no luck making it completely disappear into the background

I hope to able to animate the extrude as well so it comes out of the text and the camera runs down it to reveal the title.

If there are any suggestions out there it would be very much appreciated.

Please see attached image as an example of what Im trying to recreate.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Extruding text into infinity with Element 3D
on Jan 19, 2014 at 6:39:14 am

You should be able to fake it by extruding the text quite a bit, pushing the camera in very close to the text, and then zooming the camera out a lot.

If you need additional 3D layers in that scene and the now extreme perspective doesn't work then I don't know what to say :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 19, 2014 at 3:56:23 pm

[Aaron Byelong] "I am struggling to find a solution to this, and it may not be possible but Is there a way to extrude your text in Element 3D in AE into infinity like a superhero effect, so it disappears into Z space."

If you have Ae CC, you have C4D Lite with it. You could do this text extrusion pretty easily there.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:31:54 am

Simple answer: matte shadow. Use a plain as a matte shadow. Line it up so that it's just behind the text and then animate it backwards in space to reveal the extrusion.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Aaron Byelong
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:21:40 am

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Regarding the above one. When you say plain do you mean black solid and then track matte this to the layer and animate this.

Still learning about mattes and all that so apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:55:32 pm

Not at all. Inside the Element UI there is a set of primitive models for you to use. Select a plane. Then on its material, scroll all the way down and you'll notice an option for "matte shadow". Before you set that option, however, it helps to set up the plane in the right position before because otherwise it's invisible. It acts like a track matte, but it works in the 3d space with Element. Make sure the plane covers everything you're trying to reveal by sizing it accordingly, then go back into the Element UI and turn on the matte shadow option on the plane material. Now it should cover everything up that's behind it and you can simply animate it back in space to reveal the extrusion.

If it's all still too confusing, I posted an example.

7020_animatedtextextrusion.aep.zip

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Aaron Byelong
on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:27:23 pm

Thats brilliant. Thanks for the detailed explanation and example project.

Cheers for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]