ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fix CC Light Rays in 3d space?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean PickersgillFix CC Light Rays in 3d space?
by on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:41:03 pm

Searched everywhere to find out how to fix the origin point of a CC Light Ray effect in 3d space - can anyone give me a hint please?

I want to fix the effect in my 3d space so that the origin-point moves relative to the camera. At the moment I'm putting it onto an adjustment layer, but I find when I move the camera the effect doesn't move as I expect.

Advice anyone please?

Rgds Dean

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Fix CC Light Rays in 3d space?
by on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:58:12 pm

That requires a little bit of expression pixie dust. First make sure that your Light Rays layer is a 2D layer. Then if you create a 3D Null you can tie the 2D effect's Center property to it with an expression like this:

l = thisComp.layer("Null 1");

The first line creates a variable 'l' and assigns it the 3D Null layer object. The second line converts the 3D Null layer's anchor point into a point in composition space (a 2D screen coordinate).

If the layer you're applying Light Rays to is not composition sized you can enclose the 2nd line in a fromComp() function call like so:

l = thisComp.layer("Null 1");

Generally I recommend that you use a composition sized layer for such an effect though.

You can alt-click on the property's stop watch to add an expression or press alt-shift-= with the property selected (alt is the option key on Mac). In this case you'd apply the expression to the 'Center' property of CC Light Rays.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dean PickersgillRe: Fix CC Light Rays in 3d space?
by on Jan 16, 2014 at 3:26:22 pm

Fab Darby, thanks for sharing, exactly what I needed :-)

Rgds Dean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved