ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apply effects to 3D (ray-traced) layer or shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hannebaum
Apply effects to 3D (ray-traced) layer or shapes
on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:38:34 pm

I have a sub-comp layer that contains a couple shape layers in a Ray-Traced 3D environment.

It doesn't seem like I'm able to apply any effects (specifically, a blur) to either the shapes within the sub-comp or the sub-comp layer itself. Is this the end of the story? There's nothing I can do to blur this element?

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
Re: Apply effects to 3D (ray-traced) layer or shapes
on Jan 15, 2014 at 11:06:53 pm

Hmm.. weird. Not being able to apply effects directly to shape layers which are being 3D Ray-Traced is normal. But you should be able to apply effects to a pre-comp of those shape layers.

There's one situation where AE doesn't let you. If you have a pre-comp containing 3D Ray-Traced shape layers, and that pre-comp's "Collapse Transformation" button is selected as well as the 3D button, then it will not let you add a blur/other effects. Not entirely positive why this is. However, if that pre-comp is only a 2D layer with "Collapse Transformation" selected, then it will allow you to apply effects.

The 3D layers inside of a pre-comp with "Collapse Transformation" selected will still respond to a camera even if the pre-comp is a 2D layer. Are you sure you need the 3D checkbox selected on that pre-comp?

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

Ryan Hannebaum
on Jan 16, 2014 at 6:28:07 am

Thanks Philip. The layers inside the pre-comp are extruded. Would the extrusion still show if I made the pre-comp layer itself 2D?

Return to posts index

Ryan Hannebaum
on Jan 16, 2014 at 4:03:27 pm

Hmm, well I need to be able to move the pre-comp in z-space, so I don't think making the layer 2D will work for me.

In other words, my pre-comp layer DOES have both Collapse Transformations and 3D checked.

Is there another way to be able to add effects to it?

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:19:26 pm

Perhaps move the 3D shape layers within the pre-comp to the appropriate Z space, then you can make the pre-comp a 2D layer with Collapse Transformations?

If that doesn't suit your needs, you can make a completely separate composition only containing your 3D pre-comps, and duplicate your camera into that composition. Then bring that new comp into your main comp as a 2D layer and apply your blurs. Thats not an eloquent approach by any means, but sometimes its what you have to do to get AE to work for you. One script that will seriously help this approach is using the script Duplicate with Connections. Which will automatically duplicate the selected layers for you and apply expressions on every parameter which target the original. That way as you change the camera move in your main comp, it will automatically update any other instance of that camera in any other composition. I use it all the time for stuff like this.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

Ryan Hannebaum
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:03:00 pm

Thanks. Unfortunate that it's so complex, but then again, we're fortunate extrusion is so simple and nice in CS6 I suppose.

Because I'm strained for time on this current project, I just gave up the extrusion and let the layers in question be flat, so that I could apply effects to them while still being able to move them in z-space. But I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind when I start new projects in the future!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]