ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making layer oblivious to lighting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hannebaum
Making layer oblivious to lighting
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:36:07 pm

I have a 3D scene with a number of lights (spot and point).

In that scene I have one layer that I want to appear to be "glowing" on its own accord. To do that, I want it to ignore all the environment's lights (because a glowing object creates its own light and is impervious to outside lighting).

I'm not understanding how to do this, because when I set the layer's Accepts Lights property to Off, the layer appears completely black. When I set it to On, it becomes shaded and affected by Light layers (which I don't want).

I'm sorry if this is a bit ambiguous, but I'm happy to follow up with more details if they're needed.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
Re: Making layer oblivious to lighting
on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:10:33 pm

Hmm.. Seems like there is something else going on here, because when you check a layer's "Accepts Lights" property to off, it should show up looking how it normally would. However one thing it could be is the "Accept Shadows" property? Even though light won't be illuminating the layer, it still has the ability to accept shadows from other layers. Perhaps there is another layer casting a shadow over this one.

If that's not the case, do you have any effects applied to this layer? Is it a nested comp? What are some of the details about the scene?

Cheers,

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

Ryan Hannebaum
on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:28:12 pm

You nailed it. Turned Accepts Shadows to Off and voila! Thanks, and sorry for such a stupid question. For some reason I had thought I already tried that and it didn't work, but I was obviously mistaken.

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:47:37 pm

Great! Glad you figured it out. Definitely not stupid at all, I've been stumped by way simpler problems.

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]