ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

First AE project finished and looking for critique.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Balch
First AE project finished and looking for critique.
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:02:19 pm

Hi all,
Several weeks ago (around Christmas) I was asked to create a holiday message with some graphics that I was given.

I'm new to After Effects and this was my first effort in animating graphics and syncing it to music. I'd love to get some feedback into what I did that was good and areas that I could improve in or general tips that others have found useful in a project of this kind.

It's very basic (as you will see.) I wanted to try to get the words to "kiss" each other instead of just bouncing off, but despite that, everyone seemed to like it.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Link is here: https://vimeo.com/81842012

Alan Balch
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: First AE project finished and looking for critique.
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:43:30 pm

I think it turned out pretty good. The biggest thing I would recommend is learning how to create smooth and more "interesting" speed animations using keyframes. There are 3 tools I recommend learning: easy ease keyframes, the Ease and Wizz plugin, and the graph editor.

easy ease keyframes make make your keyframes ease in and out instead of just stopping. It usually makes things look more natural. Right click on a keyframe, or one of the selected keyframes, go to Keyframe Assistant>Easy Ease. Or use the keyboard shortcut F9.

Ease and Wizz is a 3rd party plugin found at aescripts.com (it has a listed price, but you can decide your own) that has a bunch of presets for keyframes to make them ease in and out in different ways. Mostly these make animations look more snappy and interesting. Watch the video and play around with it to understand how to use it.

The graph editor is definitely the most difficult one of these suggestions, but also gives you ultimate control. Tutorials are the best way to learn this. Here is a good one, use google for more.

One thing to note is that if you right click on position, you can separate the x,y,and z properties which is useful in the graph editor, I don't think he says that in that video, but you'll understand when you try it.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Alan Balch
Re: First AE project finished and looking for critique.
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:43:54 pm

Chris,
Thanks for your input. I'll give those a try and probably be posting more projects as they come about!

Alan Balch
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]