ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ae Cache drive on split partition of nMP PCIe flash drive?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Ae Cache drive on split partition of nMP PCIe flash drive?
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21:37 am

I'm considering upgrading to a nMP and trying to figure out what I can do with the extra space if I get the 512MB or 1TB drive. Normally I don't partition drives and keep separate drives for boot, media and cache. However, with the huge overhead in speed with the nMP's PCIe SSD, I wonder if it would be a better solution to split the partition of the internal and use the second half for my cache drive rather than using an external SSD via TB. Any thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Ae Cache drive on split partition of nMP PCIe flash drive?
on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:30:50 pm

I would put the cache on the flash storage, but I wouldn't partition it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
Re: Ae Cache drive on split partition of nMP PCIe flash drive?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 8:35:06 pm

This is what I've been doing since getting my nmp. I'm going to keep a bootable clone of the boot drive so that I can occasionally wipe the boot free to clean up any trim ssd garbage that has accumulated from running the cache on my PCIe shared boot drive.

I've noticed that sometimes AE tells me that I don't have enough free space to accomodate the level of cache that I've set, even though I actually do have plenty of free space. For instance, I'll set 350-400 GB for AE cache, and have 600GB free, but I get that error message and I have to clear cache and set it lower, like 250-300 GB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]