ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean lloydLights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?
by on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:29:27 am

Thanks, Ted.

I have another question that I was going to post about lights. Why do they change position from one camera to another? I have overhead lights that are making round pools on the floor and when I change camera angles the light is in a slightly different place. I know it's doing this because the I have checked it from overhead and they're lined up perfectly. I'm wondering if it has to do with the same issue as rotating camera angles. I watched a tutorial about setting up Nulls and having to parent them in a very specific way in order keep the program from processing the shot in a way that was unintended.

Thanks for all your help. Cheers...Ian

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Lights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?
by on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:36:14 am

That sounds strange- how are you testing the position of the lights?
When you say camera angle- you mean a second camera or moving the camera in a second position?

I just did a test and the lights are not moving - as they should not.
Load up your project and we can take a look at it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sean lloydRe: Lights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:31:07 am

If I look at a light in the main camera see where it's placed, then look at one of the custom camera angles that I suppose are there by default, because I haven't changed them. It is clear that the position has changed slightly. I have some 3D words in a round pool of light on the floor, it's pretty easy to see. Of course things change from different perspectives, but the titles sometimes will have moved a little bit out of the pool of light. I finally figured that it doesn't matter much on this shot because I am only using one camera, so I just made sure that one looked right. If it happens again, I could do a test by placing an x at a particular coordinate as well as the light or something to double check it. Thanks very much for the reply...Ian

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Lights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?
by on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:49:53 pm

I just want to clarify that the pools of light you are referring to are actually the brightness of the light on the solid and not the specular of that light. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just post a screenshot. (which might be a good idea anyway, we like screenshots)

Return to posts index

sean lloydRe: Lights Change Positions when Changing Camera angles?
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:34:49 am

Yes, the brightness of the light hitting the floor. I worked it out for the shot I need. Just made the one camera angle correct. Thanks, again for all your help. What a wonderful resource this is...Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]