ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering gone wrong!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Cabrita
Rendering gone wrong!
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:13:43 pm

Hey guys! I've been having a few issues with after effects CS6. I'm fairly new to it but im finding myself having to use more and more due to its colour correction tools. the problem is that every time i export (or render. i know they have different definitions in ae but im dont what they are) the video file plays at the same speed it played in ae. aka incredibly slow. some parts are faster but not at 25fps. This problem has always existed, I've never been able to export a decent file of ae. Do you recognise this issue? Is there anything I can do about it?

Im running it on a 2012 mac book pro. here are the specs:
4gb ram
Intel HD 4000 Graphics 512mb
i5

Also the footage is usually 1080p coming of a consumer grade Canon DSLR.

I've pondered that maybe increasing my VRAM via hack might make it faster, but I would like your opinions on it first. Also I've heard of a hack for the graphic card that would make ae and premiere render in the background, would that be helpful?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: Rendering gone wrong!
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:46:08 pm

When you play something in After Effects, you should use a RAM Preview so you can watch it at real time. Your problem sounds like your computer is having problems playing the video. What settings did you use to export? What you really need to do is get a new computer if you're going to keep using after effects. It's gotta be a pain to do any decent sized projects with those specs. (I don't mean to offend, I'm just trying to help)

Return to posts index

Joao Cabrita
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:03:41 pm

Nah i completely appreciate it. That is the sort of feedback i have been getting. Do you think an 8gb ram upgrade would help though? Or perhaps overclocking my vram?
The settings i used were simply:
Render settings: best settings
OUtput format: lossless
Log: errors only

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:18:45 pm

Try rendering an mp4 with an h.264 codec(you may have to use encoder, just drag your comp from the project window, alt+tab into encoder and drop it there). It should play better. Or try an an standard definition copy. Those should play better, especially the SD one, and if they don't, then you will know it is something with your after effects.

Adding RAM would help, but probably not that much for playing a video. Overclocking your vram might help, but I don't really know since I've never really done any research on that. If you're just doing color correction and then you are putting it into another project in an editor and exporting your final project from there as something else, that's a good idea even if it won't play perfectly out of AE because you don's lose that quality.

Return to posts index

Joao Cabrita
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:25:57 pm

I recently tried to exporting it as h.264 and it played perfectly. However only some minor adjustments were made to the project so I am not sure how it will perform under heavier changes. Would exporting it as h.264 produce any artefacts like banding or noise on my final project though? I'm guessing no since that is the codec used by the camera, but what do you think?

Thanks alot for your help :D!

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:44:34 pm

Every time you encode something, you lose detail unless you are using an lossless codec, which is what the Lossless Output Module is (Quicktime: Animation). If you have an h.264 video that you apply some effects to and then export as h.264, you are losing quality. However, since you started with h.264, you won't lose that much.

Since you know h.264 works, that means the Lossless you were exporting before is just fine. The only reason it wasn't playing back well is because it was a massive file and your computer just isn't fast enough. (mostly a faster Hard Drive and a good graphics card will help that)

Return to posts index

Joao Cabrita
on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:04:46 pm

How noticeable do you think the loss of quality would be considering i will be applying colour correction techniques like digital negatives, changes in contrast, lift, gamma, gain and keying?

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: ndering gone wrong!
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:14:26 am

Probably not that bad.

Return to posts index

Joao Cabrita
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:36:34 pm

By the way, what do you mean by trying a "standard definition copy". And you also mentioned that it should be an mp4. converted to h.264, would it make any difference if it was mov. file?

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:07:21 pm

Before we had HD, we had SD. Just look for a NTSC DV standard in the presets for h.264.

.mp4 and .mov are file containers and h.264 is a codec that can be used in both those containers. However, there are slight variations. It shouldn't make any difference whether it is an mp4 or mov, but sometimes some computers can't play one or the other. I prefer mp4.

Return to posts index

Joao Cabrita
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:23:48 pm

Thanks so much for your help! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]