ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to create an animation preset, but would like to divide it into two adjustment layers and shy one.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Andrade
Trying to create an animation preset, but would like to divide it into two adjustment layers and shy one.
on Jan 12, 2014 at 1:06:30 am

Is this possible?

What I would like to do is make a bunch of color adjustments, but place those on an adjustment layer that I would "activate" the shy switch for. (I prefer they don't see the "man behind the curtain")

Then I would like to create another adjustment layer where I would allow the users to adjust the contrast and saturation of a certain color range. The reason I am doing this is because those are the only two parameters that I would like them to change.

When I select both adjustment layers, the save animation preset option is dithered. I have to admit that this makes sense as I get the impression that you can only make a preset by choosing a bunch of effects on one layer and saving a preset that way.

That said, is there any way I can accomplish this? Also, I understand that if they dont have the option to hide the layers labeled as shy layers, that they can still see the layer I wish to hide (this isnt too much of a concern, but I was also wondering if there was any way to force that to be the case within their application)

If this has to do more with scripting, I apologize if this is the wrong forum. Also, I dont necessarily expect someone to do all the work for me, but if I can be pointed in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Again, I would like to create some sort of preset where they install it on their computer, apply it, it applies 2 layers, one where all the "heavy lifting" is being performed, and the other where I will give them the option to make adjustments. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
Re: Trying to create an animation preset, but would like to divide it into two adjustment layers and shy one.
on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:05:37 am

Unfortunately if you want to generate new layers and apply effects to them automatically you'll need a script to do so. Presets only apply effects to the selected layer/layers that have already been created. At that point you'll have to evaluate the scope of the project to determine if its worth spending the time writing a script.

Could it be as simple as making two presets labelled appropriately and giving your artists instructions to apply both?

For instance your presets would show up in the effects bin as "Project 01 - Heavy Lifter" and "Project 01 - Adjust This"

Or are you looking for something a bit more plug-n-play?

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but something neat I've stumbled on before is that if you have a bunch of Adjustment layers/Color Solids making up the final grade, you can pre-compose all of that and select the "continuously rasterize" button and all of the Adjustment Layers will work through the precomp. Makes it very neat to organize and turn on/off. You could perhaps have all of that set up in an empty project file named "Project 01 CC" and get your artists to import that project into their current one and copy over the color correction precomp.

Cheers,

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]