ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Easy Ease - Adjusting softness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon AdamEasy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 12:24:29 am
Last Edited By Brandon Adam on Jan 12, 2014 at 12:25:04 am

I have my certainties, that this PRG below may have used Easy Ease for a more fluent approach and to give the 'white rectangle' more motion path. This is the type of motion I'm trying to achieve, yet Easy Ease is to soft on end, even if I select the two keyframes and make the motion a-little faster. So how can I adjust the Easy Ease setting for a more snappier look?

0.04 sec

Thank you in advanced.

Return to posts index

Philip BowserRe: Easy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:28:06 am

It looks like you're correct. There is definitely some easing on the motion. Hard to exactly what values they would have used. Try opening of the Graph Editor and playing with the curves on the keyframes until it's looking nice. Also, one technique I use a lot is playing with the "Keyframe Velocity" parameters.

Select your keyframes and choose Animation>Keyframe Velocity from the top menu (Command+Shift+K on Mac or Control+Shift+K on PC) and you can change the influence that those keyframes have on speed/easing.

Think of the "Speed" parameter as the initial velocity the object has when it starts moving. So a value of zero would mean it starts from completely still and gradually picks up speed.

The "Influence" parameter is essentially how long it takes that object to reach its maximum speed. A value of 5% would mean that it would reach it's top speed very quickly. A value of 80% means it would move very slow at first, gradually picking up speed until it would need to move very fast to get to it's second keyframe in time.

Try setting both the incoming and outgoing velocities to these parameters:
Speed: 0 pixels/sec
Influence: 75%

You'll notice that the animation starts out slow, then accelerates to a snappy move, and lastly decelerates again nicely.

Mess around with those settings (I'd suggest checking "Continuous" at first so the incoming and outgoing are the same) until you get something looking snappy like your reference.

To help better understand this, see how changing these values will also affect the curves in the Graph Editor.

Hope this helps!

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

Brandon AdamRe: Easy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:20:48 am

Thank you both and Philip for the very detailed reply. Here is "mock" I did illustrating the motion. Does it look similar? I played around with the settings.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Easy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:33:23 am

Watch this -

and then this -

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Easy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:19:22 pm

Another recommendation is the "Ease and Wizz" from It has a price listed, but you can choose your own price as free is you want. It's great and simple for creating better keyframe animations.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Easy Ease - Adjusting softness
by on Jan 13, 2014 at 6:21:31 pm

You're all thinking of this too mathematically. While Ease & Whiz will get you 90% of what you want in most cases, controlling that sneaky slow ease in and snap at the end is a matter of keyframing magic, which really isn't all that magical.

In the first 10 frames of the animation you have the shape or mask animate out about 10%, enough to iniate the motion. Move ahead 3 frames and animate about 90% of the rest of the animation, maybe 85 if you want more soft easing at the end. Then move ahead 10 more frames and add a keframe and finish the rest of the reveal. After you have your keyframes in place (all linear at this point), make the first and last key frame easy ease. Go to the graph editor and drag out the ease to 100% on the first and last keyframe. On the two keyframes right next to each other, pull the handles all the way in so there is no ramp (shouldn't need to bother with the handles between the 2 keyframes, just between the first and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th). Here's an example attached.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved