ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to keep ram preview loading while switching to another program

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orion Satori
How to keep ram preview loading while switching to another program
on Jan 11, 2014 at 11:35:29 am

I haven't been able to find any answers to this, but it seems like it should be the default setting. Whenever I'm doing a ram preview, I can't click on ANYthing, or it stops loading the preview. Do I seriously have to sit there and stare at a scene slowly loading for 10 minutes instead of browsing the internet or something else? Please tell me there's something in preferences to change this. I can't find it. Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: How to keep ram preview loading while switching to another program
on Jan 11, 2014 at 6:12:49 pm

If those other programs need the RAM, then the operating system is going to take it from After Effects and give it to those other programs.

In general, you should have a separate computer (like a cheap laptop) for things like email, web browsing, music, et cetera. Then you won't have problems with these peripheral programs taking resources away from your main working applications on your worksatation.

That said, check your Memory & Multiprocessing preference settings in After Effects and make sure that your RAM distribution is such that other applications are being allocated an adequate amount of RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Philip Bowser
on Jan 11, 2014 at 6:19:58 pm

I agree with you, that is a little annoying. I'm not sure if you're on a Mac or PC, but I've been able to switch programs by pressing Command + Tab without After Effects stoping a ram preview on my Mac. Or by using the dock to switch apps. However you are correct that After Effects will stop a ram preview if you click anywhere inside of AE. It would be great if there was a preference setting to tell After Effects to only stop the rendering of a ram preview if you press the stop button or it's associated hot key. That way an accidental mouse click doesn't halt a render.

Perhaps there is a reason for it being this way that I am not thinking of..

Philip. Bowser

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:45:51 pm

Are you previewing via the spacebar instead of the 0 key on the numeric keypad?

RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Orion Satori
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:00:14 pm

Awesome! That works (hitting 0). Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]