ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking more than one tracker.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaiah McNeill
Motion Tracking more than one tracker.
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:39:41 pm

I have already tracked one point. But now I am trying to add a tracker point and attach it to another object in my footage but there only show one option when I click the scroll down menu. Is there any tutorial out there that can help me with this?

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
Re: Motion Tracking more than one tracker.
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:59:31 pm
Last Edited By Matt Davis on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:49:08 pm

Hi Isaiah,

If I understand your question, you have successfully tracked one point in your footage and used that tracking data to make an object move. You would now like to track another point in the same footage to make another object move as well?

If it's the same footage, then I presume that the motion is the same, so can you not use the same tracking data?

If you make the target for the tracking data a null object, then you can parent as many objects to that null object as you want. If the objects are going to be in different parts of the frame just start somewhere in your footage that you can easily place the object that you want to move. Somewhere where you know exactly where you want it to be. On that frame parent it to the null object. From then on, forwards and backwards it will follow the movement of the null, but relative to the position you gave it to start.

Do the same with the second object. You might also be able to do it by pickwhipping position data...not sure, never tried it that way.

If I've mistaken what you meant, please clarify. More info equals better answers. :)

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:54:16 pm

Unless you're using a 3rd party plugin. If you have one track point, you can't attach it to another and apply them together for rotation and scale. In the tracker window, there is an option to track rotation and scale, which will use two track points that are attached to each other which will apply position, rotation, and scale to your target when done.

At leas that is my understanding, maybe someone else knows better. As far as 3rd party plugins, I know they exist, but I don't know any because I've never had to actually use them myself.

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:05:41 pm

OR if you mean that you have already tracked one object in your scene but as the scene progresses the object that you were tracking moves out of frame and you want to continue tracking the motion of the shot with another object, then you could split the clip and create a reset your tracker on the second part of the clip.

OR if you are using CS6, you can track the camera throughout the entire clip and have your After Effects camera follow the same movements. Here's a good tutorial that should get you started:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/alien_surface/

I recently used the same techniques to digitally add snow to a scene that was shot handheld. Was a bit tricky for some other reasons, but the camera tracker was pretty easy.

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:53:59 pm

Isaiah - Have you had any luck? Need any further assistance?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]