ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving Lights Made Easy?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean lloyd
Moving Lights Made Easy?
on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:53:54 am

Hi All,

I've searched all over the web to try to find an answer to this. Relatively new to AE. I've used it for quite a few simple things, but have been much more intent on really learning it lately. What I am trying to do seems very simple, just a set with two walls (solid layers) and three sets of titles with three wall lights and three overhead lights, one for each of the titles. My original approach was to create a light set it and copy it a couple of times, but the Point Of Interest doesn't seem to let me just drag it over in Y space. It distorts the light because it's tied to that angle. So it has been difficult to match the exact size and angle of the other lights. I looked to see if I could turn off the Point of Interest, but haven't found anything. That seems like something handy, but maybe there is something that I am missing. The problem with the Point Of Interest tether is that every time I move or change rotation I have to keep readjusting the light.

Also, unrelated but is there any type of shortcut for xy and z parameters they are pretty small in the frame sometimes.

Work-arounds, suggestions? Thanks in advance...Ian

PS I'm on CS6

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Moving Lights Made Easy?
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:19:13 am

I found it easier to link the light to a 3d Null and move the Light using the Null controls.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Jan 11, 2014 at 1:52:24 am

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the response. Do you use one Null Object for each light? That would seem to make sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks, again...Ian
ll

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 13, 2014 at 10:24:47 am

Yep- one Null per Light.
If I have a rig of lights though where I want the position and rotation to be separate and at the same time to rotate all lights with one control, I use individual Nulls with rotation parented to a separate "Rotation" Null and position to a "Position" Null - hope that makes sense.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:17:12 am

Thanks, Ted.

I have another question that I was going to post about lights. Why do they change position from one camera to another? Don't know if you know the answer to that or not, but it's driving me bats. I have overhead lights that are making round pools on the floor and when I change camera angles the light is in a slightly different place. I know it's doing this because the I have checked it from overhead and they're lined up perfectly. I'm wondering if it has to do with the same issue as rotating camera angles. I watched a tutorial about setting up Nulls and having to parent them in a very specific way in order keep the program from processing the shot in a way that was unintended. Just thought I'd ask before I made another post.

Thanks, again for all your help. Much appreciated...Ian

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:51:20 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "in a different place." There are different reference points involved in defining a "place" when you work in 3D.

The 3D position of any object should not change so long as its position or any of its parent objects positions are not being animated.

That said, when you look through a new camera the screen (2D) position of every object is going to change if the camera has different transforms from the previous one.

Can you post a project file or images that illustrate the behavior you're seeing along with a short description of how you'd like it to behave?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 10, 2014 at 3:37:13 pm

Tudor has a great point and that may solve your problem. However, you may want to consider what kind of light you are using. Only Parallel and Spot lights have point of interests.

Im unsure what exactly you are trying to do because I don't fully understand the description of your scene and how you are moving your lights. I have never found lights to be too difficult, I simply move them where they need to be and if they have a point of interest, just move it after the light is where it needs to be. The position of Parallel lights makes no difference, only the angle because it's kind of a sun-like thing where the lights simply goes in that direction, it doesn't have a source.

If you would like more specific help, include a picture or two of what you are trying to do.

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Jan 11, 2014 at 1:50:43 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to grab the Point of Interest to move it? The only thing I've found is under Transform Point Of Interest. Or if I try to click on it is hasn't worked.

That would also make things easier. Thanks

Embed
Link

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 11, 2014 at 2:04:53 am

Huh, that is strange. You should be able to move it just be clicking on it. You were using the normal selection tool, right?

Can you maybe include a screenshot of your scene? Maybe there there is something we are missing through words.

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Jan 11, 2014 at 7:16:24 am

Hi Chris,

I thought I included a photo, perhaps I made a mistake on that, too. :)

So I should be able to click on the Point Of Interest? I am starting to get it better though now. I don't know if its a great design flow, but I am working better now just by using the Point Of Interest in the drop-down of the light layer along with position. Sometimes it's easy to get thrown off with how you think things should work rather than the way that they do. It is a little tedious though making exactly matching light pools on walls. Cut and paste would have been nice, bu oh well, t I'm making it happen which is the most important thing.

I will really zoom in on the lights to see if there is something that I may be missing as far as clicking on the P.O.Interest.

Thanks again for the response. It's greatly appreciated. Cheers...Ian

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 11, 2014 at 3:36:01 am

You can right-click a spotlight, parallel light, or camera and go to Transform > Auto-Orient to turn it 'Off' and disable the Point of Interest.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:21:08 am

Excellent! Thanks Darby. I think I read about that somewhere, but then couldn't find it. Thanks, very much!...Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]