ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Embedding notes, documentation, etc within AE Project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Embedding notes, documentation, etc within AE Project
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:34:57 am

Is there any facilty for adding annotations or notes INSIDE an AEP?

Something like metadata, but for the whole project. Or like PShop annotations.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Embedding notes, documentation, etc within AE Project
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:40:07 pm

Hi Eric -

You don't say what version of AE you're using, but as of CS4 there was both Project and File Metadata available, and both were viewable in Adobe Bridge.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:39:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm using AECS6 and AECC.

1) are the metadata you mention accessible/settable thru AE?

2) What I'm really looking for is a way to write notes to myself within the AE application, "post-its" so to speak. Anything like that?

Thanks for your help.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:52:07 pm

[Eric Chard] "Is there any facilty for adding annotations or notes INSIDE an AEP? Something like metadata, but for the whole project. Or like PShop annotations."

Joe tackled metadata. I'll take annotations.

Both the project panel and the timeline panel have a "Comments" column.

In the default project panel layout, this is off-screen, but if you hover over the project panel and hit the accent grave (`) key to maximize it, you can drag the Comment column over next to the name column (a much more useful place). Alternately, you can leave it where it is and scroll the panel.

In the default timeline panel layout, the comment column is not shown. Right-click any column header, choose the "Columns" context sub-menu, and enable the Comment column.

Additionally, you can add markers to layers in the timeline by selecting the layer and hitting the NumPad asterisk. Hitting NumPad asterisk without a layer selection will add a marker to the active comp. Markers can be named -- double-click the marker to open its dialog box.

If you want to comment on a specific point in the comp viewer, you might create a null object and position it for reference, then add a marker.

Finally, you can simply use the text tool, then enable the text layer as a guide layer, which will be visible on-screen in the comp viewer, but will not render and will not flow to containing comps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:50:55 pm

Walter, thank you for reminding me about the Comments column (selfhedslap!) and for the idea about the Guide layers. Very useful!

:genuflect:

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:13:17 pm

Dave and Walter have provided a few conventional ideas. I have experimented with an Expression Checkbox Control named "RTFM" for abbreviated guide/notes. This checkbox affects the opacity of of all layers, setting the opacity of all layers to zero other than the guide/note layer when the checkbox is switched on.

For projects that require more notes, I set up a Folder in the Project Panel called "Documentation Comp". This comp is set with an FPS of 1. Comp Markers are set to delineate pagination with each page set equidistant by 1 frame. Users can then use the standard PageUp/Down keys to navigate the documentation, one page at a time. The first page should ideally be a content page.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:48:40 pm

Intriguing. On the second idea, do you enter the actual content as a Text layer??

Thanks to all for responding!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:37:47 am

Text Layer, Screen Caps (Images) are all permissible. Just ensure that they are each ONE FRAME in duration so that they correspond to a single PAGE.

What I was trying to do with such a setup was to create multi-page documentation that is part of the AEP. The 1 FPS comp helps to push the page metaphor further. Hence, your input/guide/text/images should adhere to this metaphor.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]