ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RotoBrushed Matte Dissapears

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Gruber
RotoBrushed Matte Dissapears
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:27:27 am

Hey All,

Trying to teach myself some after effects for a simple plate compositing task and I'm running into what
looks like a basic no brainer kind of problem but I cannot crack it.

I have my footage. I had it highlighted in the timeline and it was in my layer window. I created the mask. But then when I scrub through the clip to check the rotobrush mask at second 1 frame 12 it dissapears. I don't have any keyframes and there are other color correction filters that are still there. I have tried re-doing it ten times and without fail the mask goes away at some point. I'm missing some really obvious piece of this puzzle, what am I doing wrong????

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RotoBrushed Matte Disappears
on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:00:04 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:35:54 am

Well, that's because you're trying to teach yourself AE, and that's the worst way to go about it. Sorry. Here's a big help in your quest:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

There is also a great series of AE tutorials by Andrew Devis here on the COW: they're a little old, but they're dandy for the beginner.

Oh, and that Rotobrush deal: there is absolutely NOTHING intuitive about Rotobrush. If you don't run tutorials and do a little reading, it's a guaranteed fail. Both sources mentioned above can help you out there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: otoBrushed Matte Disappears
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:09:03 am

Dave is correct.

Specifically, regarding your Roto Brush issue, you have moved to a time that is outside of the Roto Brush span. Read the Roto Brush documentation for details about that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: otoBrushed Matte Dissapears
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:11:22 am

Start here for Roto Brush help:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/04/roto-brush-in-after-effects-cs....

... but heed Dave's suggested link, too,

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:34:44 am

So this documentation talks about moving through the clip manually but would I be doing that in the layers panel or the timeline?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:16:13 pm

The Rotobrush Tool is active for use only in the Layer Panel. Of course the results of the Rotobrush Tool affect the Comp Panel content.

You may also want to view this tutorial - http://provideocoalition.com/cmg_keyframes/story/after-effects-apprentice-f...

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]