ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ripple Motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Adams
Ripple Motion
on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:40:04 pm

Hi guys,

I'm filming a short zombie movie next week, and I need some help planning a small effect in AE.
The actor playing the zombie will be wearing the latex mask shown in the following link:

http://maskworld.scene7.com/is/image/maskworld/enlarge-template?$product=11...

There's a part where he roars at another character, and I want those long strips covering his mouth area to vibrate with the air coming out of his mouth. I'm looking for a kind of ripple motion that would make them sway a little during his roar, and I'm not sure how this can be achieved. The mask itself is not elastic, so it can't be done in the filming.

How do you think you'd go about this?

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Ripple Motion
on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:18:26 pm

AE's Displacement Map effect will do the trick. it will use grayscale values to displace p[ixels of an image. You can nest an animated grayscale comp to use as the actual displacement map.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Jan 7, 2014 at 11:51:59 pm
Last Edited By Jennifer Adams on Jan 7, 2014 at 11:55:52 pm

Thanks, Dave! I just looked at some tutorials on this, and you're right, that's what I was going for.
My first impression is that I should be trying to create a donut-shaped displacement map that expands from the center of the mouth outwards. It should then vanish from the composition once it reaches the edge of the mouth, and an identical displacement map appears immediately thereafter (and so forth, in order to create consecutive trembles of these strips). Does that sound right? Or should the transition from one displacement map to the next be somehow more smooth?

Thanks,
Jen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:11:37 am

Um, that's both an artistic and judgement call. You'll probably have a much different idea about what's appropriate than I would. My best advice is to play aqround with it on some footage at hand and see what happens before you do it for real.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]