ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change color palette in instances of a single precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared FlynnChange color palette in instances of a single precomp
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:12:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a project in AE CC that has me creating a very basic character animation using the Puppet tool. I'd like to animate my character's actions in a single comp, but then recolor many instances of that animated comp to give my different characters different "outfits."

I'd rather not simply duplicate my animated comp and change the colors, in case my client requests changes to the animation itself.

So far, my thought was to make each piece of my character (hands, shirt, pants, shoes) a contrasting color, and then use a Change Color or Change To Color effect on each instance of the animated comp to shift my isolated colors. However, I'm getting some undesirable aliasing effects using this method.

Is there a tried-and-true method (say, expressions-based or otherwise) that I can get this setup working?

Thanks in advance!

Jared Flynn
Motion Graphics Designer

Supermicro SuperWorkstation 7047A-T
Dual 8-core Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.6GHz
PNY nVidia Quadro 4000
Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Change color palette in instances of a single precomp
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:21:44 pm

i think you'd need to go the other way... effecting color prior to the puppet tool.

you could have 4 precomps, one each for the shirt, pants, shoes, hands. those are then used by the puppet tool comp for the character animation. that would separate color from the animation.

to change the color of the shirt, you'd go into the shirt comp and set a new color with a new solid, layer or color effect...

it's possible to make all the color changes in a single 'color palette' comp, which could save time in the long run if you need to make many changes, but there's more time spent upfront for the setup... and some limitations.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved