ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to remove excess nodes created with the Pen Tool WITHOUT affecting the animation (mask path) of previous frames?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeHow to remove excess nodes created with the Pen Tool WITHOUT affecting the animation (mask path) of previous frames?
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 8:54:25 am

To delineate clearly to you, I have an adjustment layer with the Tritone fx on it but doesn't want the fx to be applied to the entire adjustment layer so I mask out a region with the Pen Tool. Below the adjustment layer is a vid of my sunglasses. From this, you can already tell that I'm putting a "bogus" tone on my glasses lol. So as I keep moving my head here and there, I need to keep track the region/mask so it always attached to my glasses.(No, I didn't use any Motion Track for this; I just adjust frame-by-frame. Pretty jaded yeah) So the very first frame of the vid shows me wearing the glasses very closeup to the camera and of course I need MORE nodes by using the Pen Tool and so I add nodes around each glass (left and right eyes...) and as the vid goes, my head is moving back away from the camera and now, I need LESS nodes because my glasses appear smaller than the beginning, true? Now the tsuris is I cannot delete the excess nodes I made before without affecting the nodes in the previous frames. Oh snap! And when I try to delete with the Pen Tool with a minus sign, a prompt pops up and tell me to do the thingy on Preferences > General and so I followed but still I can't delete excess nodes because this will also affect the nodes in previous frames. Need help over here. Thanks a million.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to remove excess nodes created with the Pen Tool WITHOUT affecting the animation (mask path) of previous frames?
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 4:40:59 pm

The technique you're describing is known as rotoscoping, and it's not easily done. You'll want to go to AE's Online Help and search for Roroscoping Resources.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sebastian LeeRe: How to remove excess nodes created with the Pen Tool WITHOUT affecting the animation (mask path) of previous frames?
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:59:59 am

No, for this task I didn't use rotoscope. I'm sure because I didn't press the roto button on top.
I said that the whole masking around the glasses I used pen tool, and when I delete excess nodes/points made with the Pen Tool, doing this also deletes the nodes you made before. So how to overcome this?
Or sir, did you mean that you cannot delete and the only way is to use rotoscoping? I'm confused. ty

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to remove excess nodes created with the Pen Tool WITHOUT affecting the animation (mask path) of previous frames?
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 4:42:46 pm

There's a difference between using the Rotobtrush tool and traditional Rotoscoping... although in many circumstances Rotobrush can make the task of Rotoscoping easier. Thoroughly confused now?

Depending on the nature of the task you may want to choose one over the other. Or you may find it's easier to create a procedural matte. Or you may want to try Mocha.

It's not an easy call without seeing what you're up against.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]