ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rediculous MOV file size for no apparent reason

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin EvanochkboxRediculous MOV file size for no apparent reason
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:40:50 am

Halp,

I have scoured this forum and other sites to a solution to the following problem, however I am still having trouble. Thanks in advance.

Iv rendered out a 3min quicktime MOV. (animation) file from AE @ 1280 x 720, 25fps, 85% quality in lossless preset, audio output @ regular 16bit/48KHz and Im getting a rediculous 5.4GB file size.

Iv tried rendering @ 50% quicktime, 50% H264 and it barely shifts the size and ends up in chunky pixelated mess. I need a 500mb file to upload to Vimeo.

I also cant compress a quicktime MOV file in movie maker and the H264 mp4 version is terrible even before compression so thats not an option.

Iv never had this problem before using these exact specs (1280x720, 25fps, 85%). Files have always remained under 1GB. I cant figure out what the problem is.

I Re-installed AE a few days ago before beginning the project ...dont know if some kind of setting has been changed back to a default ..?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: diculous MOV file size for no apparent reason
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:59:00 am

Start here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Rediculous MOV file size for no apparent reason
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:08:53 pm

What happens if you encode to Quicktime animation first and then H264 compress that file down to a stream rate?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Erin EvanochkboxRe: Rediculous MOV file size for no apparent reason
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:40:54 am

Thanks Eric, I ended up doing something similar to this.

Rendered out a the original 5MB file to another quicktime file - adjusting the keyframes down to 25fps , variable bitrate to 5, output to H264 @ 100% and fiddled with a few other settings. Brought the file size down to 110mb...but the quality is still terrible. After reading and reading and more reading...I dont think I can get it any better without completely starting the project again...which isnt an option.

this was the result: https://vimeo.com/83477750

any advice for future would be appreciated

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Rediculous MOV file size for no apparent reason
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:32:20 pm

As long as you burn the FX and changes into the frame with a lossless/uncompressed codec/format there shouldn't be any reason that H264 profile at 5Mbit shouldn't work fine to convert that burned media to delivery. I don't see where your problem could be coming from the workflow itself.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]