ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

High res comp questions........

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Fergades
High res comp questions........
on Jan 5, 2014 at 2:53:56 am

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say thank you in advance for any help You can give me.
Is it possible to make a comp with a resolution of 19200x1080 to span across ten screens?
Each screen has the same HD resolution of 1920x1080 and I want to combine ten 7 minute videos to cover all screens at the same time. Can I do this in AE, and would it be easier on the PC to run this large resolution video or just run the ten 1920x1080 videos output separately to the ten monitors? I would use Resolume Arena to play the ten different small videos if I can't merge them in AE or if I will not gain anything by doing so.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: High res comp questions........
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:34:14 am

[Jim Fergades] "Is it possible to make a comp with a resolution of 19200x1080 to span across ten screens?"

Yes. An After Effects comp can be up to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels.

[Jim Fergades] "Can I do this in AE, and would it be easier on the PC to run this large resolution video or just run the ten 1920x1080 videos output separately to the ten monitors? I would use Resolume Arena to play the ten different small videos if I can't merge them in AE or if I will not gain anything by doing so."

This really depends on the performance of the playback system. A lot of playback systems built for multiple screens are actually networks of players and prefer pre-splitting content for the displays to lower playback requirements.

You have to work backwards here; you've got the displays figured out (ten 1920x1080 displays), next you need to figure out the playback system, then finally you deliver your media according to its needs.

If you haven't done this sort of thing before, testing is critical.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Fergades
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:40:42 pm

That's actually where I'm at in the project right now.
I've been looking at the system I want to build for this and am not sure what would be the best way to go.
I've been looking at multiple pcs networked vs. one GPU intensive pc.
Not a ton of info either way but the one pc seems to be the most economical and best for this install.
Didn't want to post questions about the system as I didn't think this was the correct place to do so.

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 5, 2014 at 6:12:14 pm

[Jim Fergades] "I've been looking at multiple pcs networked vs. one GPU intensive pc. Not a ton of info either way but the one pc seems to be the most economical and best for this install. Didn't want to post questions about the system as I didn't think this was the correct place to do so."

I don't think you should expect 10-channel HD playback from a single PC, unless you reduce the resolution a ton and do some kind of scaling after output. I do a lot of multi-display work, and I generally max out at 4 outputs per PC with Dataton WATCHOUT clusters.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jim Fergades
on Jan 5, 2014 at 6:30:31 pm

Thanks for the info.
I can scale back on the resolution if necessary as I'm only using 32" monitors...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 5, 2014 at 7:23:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I don't think you should expect 10-channel HD playback from a single PC, unless you reduce the resolution a ton and do some kind of scaling after output."

[Jim Fergades] "I can scale back on the resolution if necessary as I'm only using 32" monitors..."

I was referring to a massive reduction in resolution and number of outputs, with some kind of multi-destination switcher to handle scaling and distribution. Even 10 outputs of 1280x720 is a lot to expect from a single machine.

Maybe it's feasible with DXV (if DXV can go that large), but I would certainly want to test that extensively before committing to it. Multiple synced servers with fewer outputs each would probably be more reliable.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:13:30 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:14:14 pm

The problem you run into here is less to do with hardware processing capability currently and more to do with the limitations of the software player processing that type of frame data when spanned to over 8K resolutions. The latency of that kind of pixel data processing is just to high often for realtime which is why you require nodes with separate player hosts to handle that which is what Walter is talking about. Essentially 8K is normally where the single system with 1 player host break point is though some can push to 12K.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Jim Fergades
on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:30:41 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm going into test mode for awhile to see how different setups work. I have 5 pc's to work with and access to pretty much whatever hardware I need before I build the final machine or machines. Will update when fished.
Thanks again.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]