ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A way to merge two identical compositions into one? (with dependencies)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam SablaA way to merge two identical compositions into one? (with dependencies)
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:45:02 am

Hi!

Please, could someone advise me wether there is a way to merge two identical compositions into one? (with dependencies)

I’ll try to explain with an example case:

There is 10 comps of a pen. These “pen” comps are used in many other comps for imitating drawing effect of some object. So lets say I have created 1000 comps of different animals (dogs) being drawn by the pen (one of 10 comps of a pen).

I have decided that I want to create another 200 comps of animals (cats).
So I have duplicated the project (“save as” another project), deleted the 1000 animal comps from it, and kept only the “10 comps of a pen”.
Then I have created the new 200 animal comps using the 10 comps of a pen.

Now I have two projects.
1. project with 1000 comps of animals (dogs) and 10 comps of pen
2. project with 200 different comps of animals (cats) and 10 comps of pen

…In both projects, the “10 comps of pen” are 100% identical.
I need to merge these two projects.

I have imported one project into another, so I have there the “10 comps of pen” twice.
The 1000 comps from 1. project is linked to one“10 comps of pen”, the 200 comps from 2. project is lined to another.

So there are dirty duplicates... oh damn!

Is there a way to merge these two identical “10 comps of pen” into one? So both 1000 and 200 comps would link to one?

I was looking for a script all day.
If I was replacing it manually by alt-dragging it, I would have it already done (about 300 comps).
But I might be doing it in future again, so having an automated method would be a big reveal…

I've also found this topic - http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1043841
It's a bit similar, but my case is different. In each comp of "10 comps of pen" are nested comps, so it's quite complex mess...

Please, I’m dying here heheh.

Thanks much!
Adam

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: A way to merge two identical compositions into one? (with dependencies)
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 6:08:26 am

[Adam Sabla] "In each comp of "10 comps of pen" are nested comps, so it's quite complex mess... "

You may only need to REPLACE the 10 Pen Comps.

It all boils to this -
[Adam Sabla] "In each comp of "10 comps of pen" are nested comps, so it's quite complex mess... ". Are the nested comps IDENTICAL between the two AEPs? If they are indentical, then you only need to replace them - from one AEP into the other.

If they are different, then I wouldn't bother to do anything at all since each project has a different source.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Adam SablaRe: A way to merge two identical compositions into one? (with dependencies)
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:57:55 pm
Last Edited By Adam Sabla on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:03:45 pm

Roland, thanks much!

I did basically the first thing you suggested.

I've replaced the content of the first group "10 pen comps" (from one project).
To make it easier, I have just put one into another.
So basically, now there are the "10 pen comps" twice (two folders), but one group are just comps with nested comps from the second group.
This way when I'll be doing edits in one, it will affect both.

It's still not 100% shiny solution, but it's worth the effort.

Thanks much again!
Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]