ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael FigueroaBeginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8
by on Jan 4, 2014 at 12:10:39 pm

Hi all, I've been a lurker for about a year or so now and am running into a small problem. Now quick background, I started with Premiere Elements 10 and made the jump to PP CS 5.5 and now dabbling in AE CS5.5.I am also not an editor by trade and am mobile more than half of the year. I haven't done too many effects/transitions in any of the projects I've made, but recently I've tried some motion tracking and playing with Trapcode Particular. This where the problem begins. Before I could render all my transitions/lower thirds/effects in what I would call a tolerable amount of time on my laptop.i7-3635QM, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 5d Mark III 1080P.mov input to 1080P.mov out.

I know AE is a different beast, but it seems like ages. 1hr for some text to sand type effects and even longer for an attempt at a photo wall type effect.(30 images)

My question is if I have an extra mobile PC available to me(either a Surface Pro(i5-3317U) tablet or another less powerful laptop(i7-2675QM, HD4000))Is it feasible to set these up to assist in rendering? will the lack of CPU/GPU power make the effort worthwhile? Why/Why not?

I would preferably like to avoid using a renderfarm as fast internet seems to be a problem where I am. I am just trying to see what solutions others have come up with without purchasing much higher end hardware.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Beginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:50:48 am

[Michael Figueroa] "Before I could render all my transitions/lower thirds/effects in what I would call a tolerable amount of time on my laptop.i7-3635QM, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 5d Mark III 1080P.mov input to 1080P.mov out. I know AE is a different beast, but it seems like ages. 1hr for some text to sand type effects and even longer for an attempt at a photo wall type effect.(30 images)"

Are you saying that you used to be able to render faster in AE CS5.5 than you are in Ae CC (v 12.x), or that Ae generally takes longer to render things than Premiere Pro did?

[Michael Figueroa] "My question is if I have an extra mobile PC available to me(either a Surface Pro(i5-3317U) tablet or another less powerful laptop(i7-2675QM, HD4000))Is it feasible to set these up to assist in rendering? will the lack of CPU/GPU power make the effort worthwhile? Why/Why not?"

Before we discuss network rendering, maybe we can improve the render performance of your main system. What are you Memory & Multiprocessing settings on your main PC now? Would you be able to upgrade that system to 16 GB (or more) of RAM?

Networked multi-machine rendering is possible; see Network rendering with watch folders and render engines [link] in the help for more. This will require rendering to an image sequence on some networked storage shared by all systems.

If you are considering rendering across multiple computers with different GPUs, you should be aware that if you are using OpenGL-based effects like Red Giant Looks, Video Copilot's Optical Flares or Element 3D, or Mettle's FreeForm or ShapeShifter, you might get different results on different GPUs. Rendering these on a heterogeneous cluster could cause a flickering appearance in these effects due to difference between GPUs.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael FigueroaRe: Beginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 7:53:13 pm

ok I have CS5.5 and AE CC installed on my laptop currently and CS5.5 on my gf laptop. I was more curious as to if it would benefit at all to setup her laptop to assist in some of the jobs.(Even if it meant upgrading to CC for her as well)

[Walter Soyka] "Are you saying that you used to be able to render faster in AE CS5.5 than you are in Ae CC (v 12.x), or that Ae generally takes longer to render things than Premiere Pro did?"

No, just that Premiere Pro and Elements would render projects(2 minute clips with minimal lower third animations/transitions/etc) in a decent amount of time for the effects/transitions.

I know some of the things I was trying with AE were 3D and maybe my expectations were maybe too high for the hardware I have.

[Walter Soyka] "Before we discuss network rendering, maybe we can improve the render performance of your main system. What are you Memory & Multiprocessing settings on your main PC now? Would you be able to upgrade that system to 16 GB (or more) of RAM?"

My system maxes out at 12 GB RAM. That is on the list to upgrade. I am not near the laptop at the moment, but I shall be in two days and can detail the Memory and multiprocessing settings then. I have not played with any of the settings so it is most likely set to default.

[Walter Soyka] "If you are considering rendering across multiple computers with different GPUs, you should be aware that if you are using OpenGL-based effects like Red Giant Looks, Video Copilot's Optical Flares or Element 3D, or Mettle's FreeForm or ShapeShifter, you might get different results on different GPUs. Rendering these on a heterogeneous cluster could cause a flickering appearance in these effects due to difference between GPUs.
"

Now this is the type of information that I was interested in. I do have the Trapcode Suite and Magic Bullet Looks. They aren't used too often at the moment, but eventually would like to integrate them more. I can see where you are going with the whole different results from different GPU. I know it wouldn't affect every project the same(like water streams in a fountain), but for some, the output could be entirely different.(like particulate dust) Hmmmm......

I know my situation happens to be a very rare one, but I thought I'd still give it a shot. I may try a network setup or two just to see what comes of it all provided that I don't need to spend a ton of money to acquire the results.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the helpful answer.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Beginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:08:38 am

[Michael Figueroa] "No, just that Premiere Pro and Elements would render projects(2 minute clips with minimal lower third animations/transitions/etc) in a decent amount of time for the effects/transitions. I know some of the things I was trying with AE were 3D and maybe my expectations were maybe too high for the hardware I have."

Understood. Yes, what Pr renders and what Ae renders are not really comparable.

[Michael Figueroa] "My system maxes out at 12 GB RAM. That is on the list to upgrade. I am not near the laptop at the moment, but I shall be in two days and can detail the Memory and multiprocessing settings then. I have not played with any of the settings so it is most likely set to default."

You may get a little boost for some projects with multiprocessing, but more RAM would be helpful for improving its performance.

[Michael Figueroa] "Now this is the type of information that I was interested in. I do have the Trapcode Suite and Magic Bullet Looks. They aren't used too often at the moment, but eventually would like to integrate them more. I can see where you are going with the whole different results from different GPU. I know it wouldn't affect every project the same(like water streams in a fountain), but for some, the output could be entirely different.(like particulate dust) Hmmmm......"

Not all effects use the GPU. Trapcode Particular and Form, for example, render entirely on the CPU, so render across different computers shouldn't pose a problem. (Trapcode Mir, on the other hand...)

[Michael Figueroa] "I know my situation happens to be a very rare one, but I thought I'd still give it a shot. I may try a network setup or two just to see what comes of it all provided that I don't need to spend a ton of money to acquire the results."

No extra expense. All you will need is to put the two computers on the same network.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael FigueroaRe: Beginner question regarding AE CC render times and possible solution. Win8
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:56:43 pm

[Walter Soyka] "No extra expense. All you will need is to put the two computers on the same network."

I'd imagine a faster network connection(Gigabit ethernet vs wifi) is ideal, but I'll try both scenarios for science. The current router I own is a dinosaur in terms of technology(wireless G with 10/100 ethernet), but a boost is a boost(until it's not).

Today is a travel day for me, but I will update again soon. Hopefully with decent data/results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]