ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shifting Text Over Multiple Layers - Can't Find the Answer!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry BayneShifting Text Over Multiple Layers - Can't Find the Answer!
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:41:39 pm
Last Edited By Gerry Bayne on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:48:37 pm

Howdee folks!

I've looked for an answer to this but can't seem to word it in a way that makes it findable through Google or on here.

I am working with the following setup:

I am having each of those blue lines flip over in 3D space (think of answer in the Family Feud flipping over) to reveal a phrase or word.

So, here's what I'd like to be able to do.

I'd like to be able to have text reveal as those blue lines flip over. But how do you get -parts- of the text to reveal with each layer to complete the whole? For instance- the middle blue line, as it flips over, should just reveal the middle part of the ONE.

Originally, when I had the text fitting inside one blue line, I parented the text to the blue line, so as it flipped around in 3D space, the text flipped with it. But how do you do that with just PART of the text?

I'm guessing this involves masks but I can figure out how to tie each mask to a different layer. I'm totally confounded how to break this up.

Thank you for any help.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Shifting Text Over Multiple Layers - Can't Find the Answer!
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:23:04 pm

if the flip was simply pivoting around a central x-axis of each bar (and all the bars are the same height), then a fairly easy way would be to pre-comp the text and bars, then use the effect card wipe to do the transition.

set the columns to 1, the rows to 5, flip axis to 'x' back layer to 'none' or to anther layer and then animate the transition completion.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Shifting Text Over Multiple Layers - Can't Find the Answer!
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:33:14 pm

Hi -

- theres a few ways of doing this i think...

...... easiest to me seems to be to render the whole frame out and cut into five strips using mattes - to make sure the mattes fit use alternate black and white stripes - changing from black to white on matte seleotion as required and masking matte source accordingly ( use same matte to make background for comp )

------------------------- chris ------

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Shifting Text Over Multiple Layers - Can't Find the Answer!
by on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:27:53 am

As the others have suggested, all worthy methods:

6955_layerflip.aep.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]