ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt TinleyWeird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 3:37:17 pm

Here's the deal: I've drawn a simple two point mask on a solid to draw a line using the stroke effect. I've done this dozens and dozens of times. Everything's great until I add an Ease and Whizz expression to it and start to animate the two points. Then, for some reason, I'm not able to select individual points or move them. They're stuck in place. Solid as a rock. I can move the layer as a whole, but not the points. Even if I am able with some difficulty to highlight and individual point, it can't be moved. I can take off the ease and whizz expression and it works. But does anyone know why adding an expression would cause the mask to behave in such a way?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 3:56:45 pm

I'm not really sure what's causing your issue, but why not just use a shape layer for the stroke and add trim paths?

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Matt TinleyRe: Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:02:47 pm

I actually started out using at two point shape layer with a stroke, but I was running into the same exact issue-- couldn't move the individual points after I started animating them with Ease and Whizz

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 5:33:44 pm

My short answer is "I don't know.", but since it's epically annoying when people post that (why answer at all, then?!), I'll at least tell you that your post reminded me of an earlier post I made after I divorced Ease and Wizz and started using Animation Patterns, which is more robust. Note however, that I don't think you can use Animation Patterns with mask points. Perhaps there's a limitation in there that both packages ran into.

If you can't use handy things like that, you can also try to ease the workflow with CMD-SHFT-K, which opens up the Influence dialog (without the labor of getting into the graph editor). If you're new to that dialog box, try changing the influence of an eased keyframe from 33.3 to 60 or 80 and notice the change. It's not a fix for your issue, but might ease the suffering if you end up having to do it long-hand.

More: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1038649

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:40:14 pm

Found the answer:

http://ianhaigh.com/easeandwizz/

"I’m unable to edit a mask path after applying Ease and Wizz with Curvaceous. What gives?
This seems to be a limitation with After Effects, and occurs when any expression is applied to the Mask Shape property. Temporarily disabling the expression with the “=” button will allow editing of the path."

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Matt TinleyRe: Weird mask point issue - can't select or move single mask points with Ease and Whizz.
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:41:53 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]