ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John StanowskiHow to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:41:40 pm

Hi, I use After Effects to make TV spots and I render them for each and every station with Media Encoder. (No, we don't use FastChannel anymore; too expensive).

Anyway, rendering for each station takes FOREVER!
I was wondering if I could render out a "master render" which I could then use to re-render for each station and have it conform to their specs.

My question is, how should I render out this master? My footage is a combination of interlaced and progressive. I'm trying it right now as I write this. I'm rendering it out as a .mov with the Animation codec.

I'm worried what will happen, though, when I need to use this render to make 720p versions. Will this work out okay?

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:38:58 pm

[John Stanowski] "I was wondering if I could render out a "master render" which I could then use to re-render for each station and have it conform to their specs."

the best method would depend on how many different specs and if anything else needed to change for each station (logos or whatnot).

but assuming the spot itself doesn't need to change, you could create a 'master' that would need to be the highest common denominator of the formats that are needed. so if you need 1080 60i and 720 60p, the master would need to be 1080 60p.

a 1080 60p file can quickly be re-rendered to 1080 60i and also quickly be re-rendered to 720 60p... or d1 standard, 720x486 60i, etc.

you'd have to test to see how much time is saved by having to output a master file, and then having to re-render that master to the other formats.

as for mixing the interlaced with the progressive, having interlaced footage will hurt you when you need to change the frame size. you should de-interlace (enable 'separate fields' for interlaced footage in ae) for any interlaced footage, essentially making it progressive. then let ae handle re-interlacing at render.

if separate fields makes some of the finer detail a little jittery on 60i footage, try enabling frame blending for those layers. it usually smooths that out.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John StanowskiRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:49:00 pm

Thanks so much. I obviously have to look into this more. I just finished making masters at 1080 60i. Time to start over.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram

Return to posts index

John StanowskiRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:59:17 pm

By the way, when you say the master should be 1080 60p, do you mean that literally as opposed to 1080 59.94p?

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:33:39 am

[John Stanowski] "By the way, when you say the master should be 1080 60p, do you mean that literally as opposed to 1080 59.94p?"

i was being lazy and using the 'nominal' terms.

comps would be 1920x1080, 59.94 fps.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:43:44 am

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:56:45 am

It wasn't mentioned, but you will want to look into watch folders for Media Encoder. We have a similar situation at our office, one client needs 9 different files. I create my master, drop it into a watch folder and it automatically creates all the files I need.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: How to create "master" spot to use for rendering other versions
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:51:04 am
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:29:32 pm

Once the master is created, you can save time by encoding all the compressed files concurrently. Add the master file to the AME queue once, then duplicate it and adjust the export settings for each output file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]