ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects creates aliasing on my footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon foppAfter Effects creates aliasing on my footage
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:19:24 pm

Hi

I thought I had settled for editing my large collection of MTS footage directly in After Effects CS5.5 with no conversion. Rendering is reasonably manageable with my machine. I assumed that as AE seemed to read the MTS so easily there would be none of the weird issues I have read about in the past. I noticed the full res preview looked disappointing compared with playing the files directly with VLC media player. Thought maybe it was my imagination, but then really started to notice it with regard to aliasing. Here's an example:

Does anyone have any thoughts? What's the easiest work around, bearing in mind I have about 250 clips in the region of 50GB?

The footage was recorded 1080 25FPS on a Canon HG10
I have full Adobe CS5.5
I have Windows 7 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz @ 4.00GHz
6GB RAM

Quality is very important for this project

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

jon foppRe: After Effects creates aliasing on my footage
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:46:32 pm

Also, just to mention my composition settings... Set automatically by the footage, AE gives me HDV 1080 25, but with 1440 pixel width and a pixel aspect ratio of HDV 1080/DCPRO HD 720 (1.33). The composition and footage appears squashed horizontally.

I change the pixel aspect ratio to Square Pixels, and change the width of the composition to 1920 to give the correct 16:9. I have no idea why it interprets the footage like this, but I guess probably the root of the problem.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects creates aliasing on my footage
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:48:47 pm

In the Previews preferences category, change the Zoom Quality preference to More Accurate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: After Effects creates aliasing on my footage
by on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:08:54 pm

[jon fopp] "I change the pixel aspect ratio to Square Pixels"

This might be the problem if the original footage is in fact 1440x1080 non square pixels. You should create the comp with the same settings as the footage is. Then you can use the pixel aspect ratio correction toggle under the comp window.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:50:57 pm

Thanks for the tip, definitely a better way to set up the compositions. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference to the jaggies visible in the image I posted (or changing the previewing preferences).

It must be that AE is decoding the footage strangely. I have tested this particular shot in a few different ways. Played through the camera obviously looks pristine, and VLC does a great job too. Windows Media Player creates exactly the same aliasing effect as visible in After Effects preview and subsequent exports.

I am thinking that perhaps the current version of After Effects may be worth trying. Either that, or converting all of my footage to a better format. I wouldn't know the best way to do this (since I obviously can't use Adobe). Any suggestions for that?

Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2014 at 4:08:10 pm

Think I have found the issue by digging around on the net. It sounds exactly right, so I am feeling confident it will solve my problems.. but will be back if not :)

http://www.carlkingdom.com/premiere-pro-avchd-users-beware#.UsWGqWRdWRg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]