ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Raytracing - Precomps Visible in Reflections Only

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth OlsonRaytracing - Precomps Visible in Reflections Only
by on Dec 30, 2013 at 4:55:02 pm

I am trying to create some nice light crawling on a Raytraced, 3D extruded logo using precomps for lighting, but I don't want the source to be visible directly to the camera. Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Raytracing - Precomps Visible in Reflections Only
by on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:16:38 pm

You can use light adjustment layers. By ticking the adjustment layer toggle for the light in the timeline (it looks like a black-and-white cookie), you tell the light to only affect layers beneath it in the timeline.

You'd move your extruded 3D layer to the bottom of the layer stack, place the logo-only lights above it and turn on their adjustment layer toggles, then place all the rest of your layers, cameras and such above those.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Raytracing - Precomps Visible in Reflections Only
by on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:25:09 pm

Walter's given you a direction using Adjustment Lights. You should also consider using your precomp (note the singularity) as an Environment Layer.

Lots of info on Ray-tracing in AE here -

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Raytracing - Precomps Visible in Reflections Only
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:22:20 pm

Hi -

- you can also select ' appears in reflections only' in the ray trace properties drop down menu - ( just make sure your precomp is set up to enable this if you need it ).

This can be very useful as you can use moving footage as well and also more than one layer thus having the option for very complex reflections.

Also using this you can get loads of fine detail if you are close up to the logo / lettering -- ( its worth playing around with the position of the reflection layers quite a lot ) .

It might also be worth noting also that this kind of comp is a lot easier if your kit is either very powerful or has multiple graphics cards.

All the best

Chris Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved