ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exported video is choppy using dynamic link (PP and AE CS6)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sophia Smoloka
Exported video is choppy using dynamic link (PP and AE CS6)
on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:36:18 am

Hi!

I'm new to Adobe and the problem I'm experiencing when exporting the video with PP is probably due to some (rendering) setting I'm not aware of or workflow mistake... It must be something I do in AE because that seems to create the problem...

So my basic workflow is to open the video files with PP, do the editing and then create a dynamic link to AE by going to File -> Dynamic Link -> Replace with AE composition. I keep the original video file underneath the dynamically linked AE composition - the original files play fine in PP and they export ok too.

I use AE for keying. I save the AE project when I'm done and go back to PP where I can see the effects from AE. I now render it in PP and this is where it gets slightly choppy. I do the color correction in PP (because I know it better than AE).

I tried exporting a small section of the sequence using the YouTube 1080p preset and as I mentioned, the playback is slightly choppy or slow. It's as though my computer can't quite keep up with the file but that shouldn't be the problem - or in any case, I thought once I export it the computer should be able to play it as it's compressed and the file size is normal.

My system specs:
Intel Core i7-3930K, 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, Windows 7, Creative Suite CS6

I'd appreciate your thoughts and let me know if I missed out on any details you need.

Many thanks,
Sophia

Return to posts index

tj reis
Re: Exported video is choppy using dynamic link (PP and AE CS6)
on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:10:21 pm

I have the same problem as you and my PC spec are:
i7 4770k
Gtx 780 GPU
32gb ram
3ssd
2hard drives
Water cooled system
So doubt its a PC problem.

I saw a youtube video with someone having the same problem and he said to render in after effects as lossless which shouldn't take away quality. Than import into adobe media encoder and compress there.

Video:

I'm not home to try it out but if you do please let me know in your thread.

Return to posts index

Sophia Smoloka
on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:46:17 am

I tried this and it works!

Used Media Encoder to export the AE composition like described and imported it back to PP. To test it, I exported a little section with the newly imported clip and an old one and you can definitely see the difference.

Based on this result, surely there must be an easier or automatic way using dynamic link...?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:54:23 pm

I am assuming that upon rendering in PPro (after keying etc in AE) that the video, your timeline, plays perfectly well. The issue is likely the bitrate setting of your export from PPro. 5-15 MBPs is what most well-built systems will play back comfortably, ie in realtime.

If you are exporting to youtube and you have chosen a very high bitrate, in excess of the numbers I stated above, then they will likely not play back smoothly, or in realtime. However, once uploaded to youtube, your file will be re-compressed to suit youtube's bandwidth/datarate requirements for your video; based on your video resolution and youtube subscription/membership status.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Sophia Smoloka
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:52:04 am

The clip doesn't actually play back well in PP either, so once I work on it in AE it goes choppy - when I use the method using Media Encoder posted above, it works though. Any suggestions what might be going wrong between AE and PP here? Thanks

Return to posts index

tj reis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:17:54 pm

Well I found what was causing my video to blue after rendering. I use fraps to record gameplay. I have 3 monitors so I put the game in window mode instead of full screen. By being in window mode my comp said 1920x1058 and I kept changing it to 1920x1080 so that is was caused my blur after render. I changed it to windowed(full screen) mode in the game settings and when I imported video into AE it said 1920x1080 :) so that was an easy mistake that took me for ever to solve lol.

Return to posts index

Sophia Smoloka
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:34:26 pm

[tj reis] "Well I found what was causing my video to blue after rendering. I use fraps to record gameplay. I have 3 monitors so I put the game in window mode instead of full screen. By being in window mode my comp said 1920x1058 and I kept changing it to 1920x1080 so that is was caused my blur after render. I changed it to windowed(full screen) mode in the game settings and when I imported video into AE it said 1920x1080 :) so that was an easy mistake that took me for ever to solve lol."

Glad you solved it! The issue still persists for me unfortunately... :/

Media Encoder only partially solved the problem (thanks for the tip by the way!) as some of the clips go slightly choppy towards the end of clip. I'm basically at a loss. Using the HD 1080p 25 preset in Media Encoder, I get relatively big files, for example a 1 minute clip turn into 276MB file.

I will try reducing the quality just to see if that makes a difference but if someone has a clue what might be causing this please let me know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]