ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gun Slot Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Glennie
Gun Slot Effect
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:38:04 pm

Hi People,

A relative beginner here so please be gentle:-)

I have a project where I would like to have a mask track a person around the shot. In this case, its a speaker at a forum who moved around the fixed camera shot. I would like to have the output so he/she stays within the mask while the background moves. Somewhat like viewing the world through a gun slot in a gun turret.

I have seen quite a few tutorials and posts here but not one that appears to do the job, apart from suggestions that I may need to do this manually. So hopefully there is a technique for me.

Regards

Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: Gun Slot Effect
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:37:15 pm

It sounds like what you are doing is pretty simple, actually. Just open the tracking panel and track your speaker. Apply it to a null, then create a solid with your mask on it and parent it to the null. Use the solid as the track matte for your footage. Ok, so maybe that isn't as simple as I thought, but it's really not that complicated. If you don't know how to track or parent or use track mattes, just google it, you should find a bunch of tutorials. Probably a bunch on this site.

Return to posts index

Andrew Glennie
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:13:25 am

Thanks Chris,

I will give your thoughts a try, although enxt year now as about to head for the Xmas hills.

Regards

Andrew

Return to posts index

Andrew Glennie
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23:20 pm

Hi Chris,

Bit of head scratching. On the project I am working on, the null layer is never available to be assigned to the Track Motion. So I tried using one of the Tutorial project movie clips and it worked. So something challenging on my project. In trying to work out what might be happening, I am doing track motion on a small section of a clip only. Would I be better to separate out the bits I want to track motion, do the processing, and then reintegrate them back into the whole project?

In addition, when I followed your instructions on the tutorial project clip, the solid moved with the background, where I am hoping to have the solid fixed with the track point centred on the solid. Or was I doing something wrong?

Regards

Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:38:55 pm

First off: Wow! It's almost been a month since I posted on this thread. Lol.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding you correctly. A video or screenshots would help that. However, I think you are applying your track data incorrectly. When you track your person, with your track point on their nose or whatever, the track data is stored on the footage you are tracking, but it isn't applied to anything. In the tracker panel, there is a button for Edit Target where you have to select a pre-existing layer (if you don't have a null, create it, then select it as the target). When you hit Apply, it applies the tracking data to the layer you selected as the target. At this point, your null (if that was your target) should trace wherever you put your tracker(their nose if that is where you put it) all the way through whatever you tracked, and whatever you parent the null to will move with it (i.e. a solid you are using as a track matte). I think you did something wrong somewhere in there, unless I'm misunderstanding you, which I'm sorry for if that is the case.

I could go into a lot of detail here about how the tracker works, but the short version of it is; Yes. Split it up and do it in sections that you are going to use.

Return to posts index

Andrew Glennie
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:58:46 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes a long time. Xmas break and a summer flu can take you away from work lol

I have been trying to apply the tracker data as you specified, but for some reason the Null layer isn't selectable in the main project. Its blurred out, as are all the other layers apart from the footage layer.

I will work on splitting the project up.

Thanks

Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:25:45 am

Your null and footage are in the same comp, right? And the footage isn't 3d?

Return to posts index

Andrew Glennie
on Jan 16, 2014 at 6:55:59 pm

Correct. Footage and Null in the same comp. And footage is 2D.

Return to posts index

Andrew Glennie
on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:32:15 am

Hi Chris,

Now the Null layer has become selectable and using the same steps as before. I have big scratch marks in my head.

My question is now about the solid to be used as a Track Matte. As I noted, a relative newbie and not sure if you are referring to a Solid layer or a mask on an existing track. I can create a solid layer and that I am able to parent, but the only one that does create the gun slot effect to view the background is to create a mask on the source layer. the other way creates and effect where the gunslot has the speaker fixed within it, but its moving all over the place as the track point moves. I need the gun slot to stay in one place to anchor the speaker.

I am struggling with the mask which only seems to work when I mask the footage layer.

thanks for your patience.

Regards

Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:40:18 am

Watch this tutorial on track mattes.
http://vimeo.com/m/20941657

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved