ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Avid / AE roundtripping for stop-motion film retiming, with a twist

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis GordonAvid / AE roundtripping for stop-motion film retiming, with a twist
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:19:58 pm

Hey guys,
I'm trying to do a pretty tricky deal with After Effects coming from Avid. Here's the short of it:

I want to take a sequence from Avid to AE using the pro import function (via an AAF file) so that I can get all the shots I need with handles in one fell swoop. It's all stop-motion footage shot on film so I'm using AE mainly to re-time the puppets' moves that are a little wonky. This means I need AE to work with image sequence versions of all the shots, which will allow me to easily remove and extend single frames.

Since pro import only seems to make QT reference files that link to the Avid footage, is there:

A) a quick way to take my multi-layered composition and simply convert/proxy all it's footage to image sequences, or

B) a way to convert the whole original video file of the lab roll into an image sequence and proxy all the composition footage to that?

Oh, and here's the kicker to all of this: There's a very good chance that we'll want to do a match-back to 35mm film for distribution (meaning we need an EDL from Avid). Is there a way to accomplish all of this and still retain the data needed for the EDL?

I had considered just sucking it up and cutting the frames in Avid, but I'd really, really like to avoid that headache. With the amount I'm doing I'd need to "make edit at cursor" for almost every frame of a 5-minute sequence.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Avid / AE roundtripping for stop-motion film retiming, with a twist
by on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:36:23 pm

Use Premiere Pro for your editing needs. Your workflow will be less painful and much more productive. IOW, if you use AE a lot then PremierePro SHOULD BE your editing app. AE's finesse coupled with PPro's playback prowess provide an awesome combination.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Louis GordonRe: Avid / AE roundtripping for stop-motion film retiming, with a twist
by on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:57:08 pm

That was an option I was considering.
But my main concern is still with preserving the Ink data required to send an EDL for film match-back. Is this something Premiere can handle, and when I convert footage to image sequences for AE, is there a way to preserve that data?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Avid / AE roundtripping for stop-motion film retiming, with a twist
by on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:20:52 pm

PPro exports CMX3600 EDLs. An image sequence will not contain tape-centric metadata. Hmmm, you may be able to use Adobe Bridge to input metadata but I'll be surprised if other apps will be able to read it. It's worth a look-see if you're so set on using an Avid.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]