ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recover earlier Version of a project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaspar KilchenmannRecover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:24:21 pm

Hello Creative Cow
i have quite a big Problem on my Hand right now!!

i just switched to After Effects CC a week ago

i had this big project which i had to prepare for a client to change some text elements
so i wanted to reduce the whole project to just the comp the client needs to change

i chosed the one comp that was needed for the client - went to "collect project" and said it should be reduced

i thought AE would create a reduced copy of the current project
BUT instead of doing so it just reduced the project i was working on not making a copy!
now im left with just this one composition in my AE project and it seems that work of more than weeek is lost

is there a way to restore an earlier version of my project??

thanks for any kind of help in advance!!

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Recover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:41:24 pm

If you have auto-save enabled in your AE preferences, there should be a folder where you saved the project with previous auto saved versions in it.

Return to posts index

Kaspar KilchenmannRe: Recover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:45:42 pm

first: thanks a lot for the super quick response!!

i just checked, but no; the auto save option was not turned on (i did turn it on for not running into anything like that ever again!)

are there any other possibilities to recover an earlier status of a project?

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Recover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:24:06 pm

Not that I can think of. Do you have some sort of computer backup that might have it?

Return to posts index

Kaspar KilchenmannRe: Recover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:38:15 pm

sadly not...

ok, seems that i have to wrap my head around the fact that a big chunck of this project is lost then

gladly the main animations were already rendered out and by now its only some little animated text comps that i have to redo - i just hope there wont be any changes requesting the main animation...

for next time: collecting and reducing a project does NOT create copies?
so, if i have to send out a reduced version of a project, but still wana keep the big one to myself, i have to make a copy of the AE project in the finder and then reduce the duplicated version of the project in AE? (because i thought recalling after effects CS4 doing a copy automatically of the current project when i collected and reduced a project)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Recover earlier Version of a project
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:56:31 pm

Collect files should be saving another copy of your project, unless you pointed it to the very same that your current AEP resides in and overwrote it (which should have also required confirming a dialog box).

Everyone should be in the habit of using Increment and Save often, as this creates a whole new file with a new version number, thus preserving your work-to-date. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S on a PC, Cmd+Opt+Shift+S on a Mac.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]