ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular, emitter/null not fluid curves between keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas v BreugelParticular, emitter/null not fluid curves between keyframes
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 10:33:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a 'light write' text. Sofar so good, that I managed to set everything up. I made a fluid line with the pen tool in Illustrator, copied that onto a null objects position and linked the emitter to that. But the problem is the space between the 'keyframes?'. The movement is not fluid but more with hooks (exuse my english). I'm trying to get a nice round swoosh instead of the following:

and this is the look i'm trying to copy (made in photoshop by my client)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Particular, emitter/null not fluid curves between keyframes
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 10:44:09 pm

I, personally have never done anything like that, but if you double or triple the comp's frame rate, then just play back every 2nd or 3rd frame, it should smooth out your null path.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Particular, emitter/null not fluid curves between keyframes
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:39:10 pm

Another way is to change the property Emitter > Position Subframe. To a more exact emitter position, this does increase render position, but not nearly as much as it used to in the days of much slower computers.

Position Subframe smoothes out the movement of the particles where the emitter position is moving very quickly. In Particular 2.0, the default interpolation is linear, which means each frame is interpreted linearly. This is identical to the behavior of particles in version 1.x. If you have a slow-moving emitter, than this mode works fine because the particles are moving so fast that everything looks smooth. But if you want the emitter position to move quickly, this is a problem because you will see only a linear path. There are four options.

From the help section:

The Position Subframe pop-up
•By default, Position Subframe is set to Linear.
•10x Linear creates a new position particle at 10 subframe points in time, and then samples the position for the particle from the resulting points. This results in a more accurate position for fast-moving particles and typically is fine for everything but the fastest-moving particles.
•Set to 10x Smooth if you need the movement to distribute the points more evenly along the curve calculated at the same 10 subframe times as the 10x linear mode. This mode can give a slightly smoother motion along the path but renders at nearly the same same speed as the 10x Linear mode.
• Exact (slow) will accurately calculate the position of every particle based on the velocity of the emitter position. We don't recommend using Exact unless you have a very few particles in the scene because this will slow down the rendering of the particle simulation considerably, especially if you are using a large number of particles in the Particles/sec control.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bas v BreugelRe: Particular, emitter/null not fluid curves between keyframes
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:58:06 pm

Yes, it was as simple as chosing 10x smooth in the Postion Subframe dropdown under Emitter.
The change to 75 fps in the comp also did the trick, but has its downsides.

thank you guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved