ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Extreme Close Up Focus Problem...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald Hapeman
Camera Extreme Close Up Focus Problem...
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:44:34 pm

Panning and zooming in to an extreme closeup of a face, but I can barely get close enough to get the face in focus and doing everything I can in adjusting focus, f-stops, etc... I've had to resort to pulling the camera back and can only get from torso and up to keep in focus... if I get any closer, I'm out of focus and I'm at my limit in focusing adjustments...

Anyway I can cheat this extreme closeup? Did it with Depth of Field on and off with no success... pushed and pulled focus as I pan along the way but when I still get to my main target... can't get an extreme closeup. Below are my ending stats which shows I can't go any further in focus...

Depth of field: 178
Aperture: 0.0
Lens: Fast Rectangle 50mm

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: Camera Extreme Close Up Focus Problem...
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:06:37 pm

If you are zooming into a picture or footage, the resolution of your source could be the reason it's not clear. If that's not your problem, pull the camera back and zoom in.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:17:03 pm

You have your aperture wrong.

0 is the most shallow depth of field possible. Make that a big number instead.

You may also just be dealing with the fact that your image doesn't have the necessary resolution to maintain it's sharpness. But then again, I have no idea what kind of footage you're working with.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Gerald Hapeman
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:55:07 pm

Thanks both! The image is very high res as I had this shot in mind to get very close to it... Lowering the aperture to 0 is what actually brings it into focus... if I go any higher it blurs it even more. DOF is on as well, so that's why I'm troubled...

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:12:21 pm

0 Aperture is actually infinite DOF, so with that set to 0 or your DOF turned off, everything should be in focus. There does actually appear to be a minimum focus distance, mine was around 275 pixels, so as long as your footage isn't closer than that, you should be able to get it into focus regardless of your settings. If you can't, then it simply means your footage isn't high enough res (at least, I can't think of anything else).

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:48:24 pm

Open camera settings by double clicking the camera, and change your "Focal Length" rather than the focus distance. I'm thinking this is the issue. And ya, I guess 0.0 is infinite DOF - doesn't really make sense to me since a low number on a camera aperture = shallow DOF, but hey, whatevs.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:16:40 pm

You can compensate with the blur % setting. When focusing very close to the camera, lowering it can give your object more focus and helps controlling the overall depth on the scene.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]