ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about using 1080p in a 720p sequence for reframing in a multicamera edit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew JonesQuestion about using 1080p in a 720p sequence for reframing in a multicamera edit
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:06:17 am
Last Edited By Matthew Jones on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:10:08 am

*Sorry guys, posted in the wrong forum. >.< Reposted in the PPro board, mods you can erase this.*

Hey everyone

I do a lot of shooting and editing of live music in crowded places, using 3 - 4 cameras shooting in 1080p. When I edit, I make a 720p sequence for multicam editing - sync up all the tracks so I have my 4 angles, scale the 1080p footage to fit the 720p sequence (using scale to frame size), then I always duplicate one or two of those tracks and un-check scale to frame size... so essentially I've created some extra angles out of the same clips, by zooming and re-positioning. I always edit this way, it just adds a lot of variety. I edit in 720p because I always learnt that blowing up footage to beyond 100% is a big no-no, and by putting 1080p footage in a smaller sequence, I have the latitude to re-frame without doing so.

However that being said, my question is... I have my 720p sequence and say 75% of the video ends up being full frame 1080p (downscaled) and only 25% ends up being 1080p at 100% (cropped)... would I be better off going the other way, editing in 1080p and simply blowing up my zooms to 150%? I know blowing up footage is awful but... I'm already losing quality on the 1080p footage that I am having to scale down to 720p.

I guess it's one of those same difference kind of situations, but I just would like some opinions. What would you do? All of this is for Youtube and Vimeo usage btw, not broadcast... but I'm still sad to lose that 1080p option. xD

Many thanks for any comments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved