ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Element 3D - Legendary Pictures Recreation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon WilsonElement 3D - Legendary Pictures Recreation
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:14:25 am

Ideally I'd be using C4D, Maya, or some other 3D modeling program. But alas, After Effects CS6 and Element 3D is all I've got.

Here's the effect I'm trying to recreate-

The attached video is what I have so far-

I brought a few custom masks into an Element 3D layer and animated its World Transform to achieve the precise camera movement I needed.

The light rays I have are from Trapcode Shine, but obviously it doesn't do justice to what Legendary Pictures has.

The challenge has been getting Element 3D to react to other effects (such as Trapcode Suite) outside the plugin. What adds to the challenge is that it lives in its own 3D space that keeps it separate from other 3D layers/effects.

Besides the obvious "light rays" issue, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Element 3D - Legendary Pictures Recreation
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:10:11 pm

What you have is actually pretty good. Add some great sounds and I think you've got a pretty good product.

The light rays in the legendary Pictures could be made with just a simple fractal noise, a mask, directional blur, and some glow (probably many other ways to make the same thing also). Make the layer 3d and put it in a crack.

For the texture, I would probably find a good metal texture, make a new comp, add some red, large fractal noise, use Add transfer mode (fiddle with it to get it to look good) and use that comp as a custom texture map.

Add some 3d text flying in and you've got it.

That being said, make something creative. Take their idea and change it to make if your own! More original work is always better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved