ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects/Element 3D crashes computer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Marzolph
After Effects/Element 3D crashes computer
on Dec 16, 2013 at 7:02:25 pm

I'm having a major problem with After Effects CC and Element 3D and i'm not sure where the problem lies. I've been trying to render out a sequence for the last few days and every time i try it crashes my entire computer! not just after effects, but my whole machine goes down and restarts.

here's the scene. i've got a 91 frame image sequence of a box fracturing into maybe 1000 pieces (via rayfire/3ds max) and it's not terribly high poly, certainly well within it's capabilities. i'm running a quadro 4000, with a i7-3930K processor and 64gigs of ram. i'm rendering with multi-processing disabled too for increased stability.

the real issue that's driving me nuts is that i can ram preview the whole 10 second sequence no problem, it's not even that slow. in maybe 3 or 4 minutes i can ram preview the whole thing at full size and view the sequence exactly as it should render. in any other scenario, if you did this then hit render it would just fly through the export and be done in just a few seconds pulling all the frames from the cache. but when i try to render in any format (i've tried .mov and several codecs, tiff, tga, and jpeg sequences) it grinds to a halt, taking maybe 30-40 seconds a frame (mind you in ram preview it only takes 3-4 seconds a frame) then after about 5 minutes of struggling it just dies. the whole computer goes down and restarts.

i can hear my fans making a lot more noise than usual but according to the task manager it's not even maxing out my cpu or coming close to all my ram. the cpu thing is strange in it's own right because normally rendering anything in AE maxes out all my cpu's during the whole render. clearly something's wrong here. it's not accessing my cache, and it's not even rendering with all my computers power. i don't know what is at fault here but it's completely halting my work. please, any help would be appreciated.

http://www.ryanmarzolph.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: After Effects/Element 3D crashes computer
on Dec 16, 2013 at 9:02:56 pm

Start here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/how-to-avoid-crashes-and-cachin...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:12:29 pm

What drive does the current media reside on and what drive are you rendering to? Are these internal or external?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Marzolph
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:23:04 pm

i did find a solution that worked and allowed me to render out my sequence. i've found more and more that when working at higher resolutions or with high poly scenes that enabling motion blur in element can cause some major instability in the system. in another project AE would crash after a few minutes of rendering and i couldn't even view the screen at full resolution without a crash - but after disabling motion blur it took care of the problem. the issue was the same here. in the previous case of a motion blur crash i was working at 5k so i understood i was pushing it. in this case i was working at 1080 but i was using 2x supersampling which makes it effectively a 4k render each frame. once i disabled motion blur for the comp it rendered out in a matter of minutes.

http://www.ryanmarzolph.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]