ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

VC Element 3d - Enviroment question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas v BreugelVC Element 3d - Enviroment question
by on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:44:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Im trying to get that hard studio light reflection on my Iphone model (made with Element 3d)

like this :

So I've made a new composition 1920x1080 with a solid like the folowing:

But then on my model the edges look very blown up:

Any ideas how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: VC Element 3d - Enviroment question
by on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:24:34 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:25:03 pm

Try increasing your comp resolution (for the environment) and see if unchecking compress textures (under output -> sampling) helps.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: VC Element 3d - Enviroment question
by on Dec 16, 2013 at 5:43:01 pm

Environment Maps really need to be Equirectangular (2:1). However, in this case, it shouldn't really matter.

I'm working on a project right now and I'm dealing with a lot of reflections using an environment almost exactly like yours, but I'm not getting the same reflection problem you are. So I created a new project and duplicated your project (using a cube instead of an iPhone) and I got the same problem. Element has it's own map size limit in the preferences of the Scene Setup window and the problem still occurs with it at max res there, however I noticed that the reflection was smooth where the environment map looped (where the right side of your environment map meets the left side in the sphere). That is what I think I did on accident.

However, I figured it out. Don't make your environment map have a diagonal line, use a horizontal or vertical line. Even at the low res of the environment map, a vertical or horizontal line will look smooth. Just rotate your environment in the Render Settings. You could also move your camera closer and zoom out to get a larger sample of the environment off the the reflection.

Return to posts index

Bas v BreugelRe: VC Element 3d - Enviroment question
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:08:08 am

Thanks Chris, a horizontal line desposed of the 'compression squares' but it still wasn't a clear line, moving the camera closer to the object and zooming out made it perfect!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved