ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Poor ProRes performance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Pickersgill
Poor ProRes performance
on Dec 16, 2013 at 10:11:04 am

Following the advices given by many on these pages which suggest I'll see significant working/render speed improvements with ProRes footage I just spent 2 days converting my AVCHD into ProRes. I just want to report that I'm seeing absolutely no improvements in AE6, and in fact it's taking longer to render this footage than with AVCHD.

The only difference I see is that my activity monitor reports all my allocated memory is used (before the conversion it reported around 70% getting used), but AE6 ticks away in the background much slower, and foreground previews are a pain. Not only that but my panels are now annoyingly slow, and background rendering switches to foreground after managing to do 80 or so frames ...

Help anyone please ... I'm sure I must be missing something but I'm buggered if I can see what!
MAC PRO 8core
64Gb RAM
1TB 10,000RPM cache-disk
memory set-aside: 15Gb
CPU RAM allocation - 3gb, 8 CPU's resereved (so 8 in use).

Rgds Dean

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Poor ProRes performance
on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:16:43 pm

[Dean Pickersgill] "Following the advices given by many on these pages which suggest I'll see significant working/render speed improvements with ProRes footage I just spent 2 days converting my AVCHD into ProRes. I just want to report that I'm seeing absolutely no improvements in AE6, and in fact it's taking longer to render this footage than with AVCHD."

By transcoding from ACVHD to ProRes, you are trading one problem (AVCHD decode is CPU-intensive) for another (ProRes decode is done in a 32-bit helper process and passed internally over your computer's network stack to 64-bit Ae).

That said...

[Dean Pickersgill] "The only difference I see is that my activity monitor reports all my allocated memory is used (before the conversion it reported around 70% getting used), but AE6 ticks away in the background much slower, and foreground previews are a pain. Not only that but my panels are now annoyingly slow, and background rendering switches to foreground after managing to do 80 or so frames ..."

That sounds bad. Do you see this same behavior across Ae restarts and computer reboots? Have you tried clearing cache and resetting preferences?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]