ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anoek HoubenVector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 2:39:34 pm

Hello,

I am having a problem with After Effects. My vector images are very blurry in (full) preview and in render, but I do have the continuously rasterize option on for every layer. With this function, the blurriness is a little les, but it is far from sharp, as it should be.

I am working with an eps illustrator document, so thought that might be it, but with an .ai document, it's the same. I've also tried to import a different illustrator document, to see if my original one was corrupt or something, but same results there. I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:46:51 pm

Illustrator documents can contain bitmap/raster material. Is that the cause?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anoek HoubenRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 4:29:35 pm

Well, no... The document is made entirely of vector images (I created myself)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:29:09 pm

...and is EVERYTHING in the illustrator document blurry? Every layer in the document?
Does the document have layers, as opposed to a single layer with paths? Are you using layer styles that AE doesn't like? And a real basic: it should be RGB; it can't be CMYK.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:30:15 pm

One more question - are you Scaling your vector layers and they look bad, or are you Zooming the camera in on them, in which case they could well be looking bad.

Here's what Adobe has to say about it:

"After Effects renders vector objects before zooming (scaling for preview), so some vector objects may appear jagged when you zoom in on them. This apparent pixelation for zooms does not affect scaling of layers or rendering to final output."

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:23:33 pm

Yes, everything is blurry and I have seperate layers. I can animate them, but it's simply not sharp (not even one of them). Not even at 100% (zoom), and it gets worse when I zoom in to my project (which is pretty logical ofcourse). And, when I render everything, it is still blurry. The weird thing is though, that when I scale my objects, they don't get blurrier. The blurriness stays the same as on 100%... It is, as if I haven't got the continuously rasterize function switched on but yet I DO.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:26:19 pm

Oh and yes, everything is in RGB/

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:55:42 pm

Here are my last thoughts, and then I'm out of possibilities.

Are you viewing the comp at half resolution or less? Are you viewing the comp at more than 100% scale? Both adjustments are at the bottom of the comp window.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:21:29 pm

Unfortunately I am looking at it full resolution, and 100% scale...
Thanks for your help though!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:57:31 pm

I'll bet Dave hit the nail on the head. I used to get client files all the time (mostly logos), and I would request that they send either a .ai or .eps format for the best results. Well guess what they did? Opened the bitmap file with Illustrator, then saved it in the requested format. Even ad agencies sent me stuff this way. A bitmap file is always a bitmap file, not matter what you extension you put on it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Brendon MurphyRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 14, 2013 at 2:34:35 am

Is the vector file inside a precomp that has been scaled?

Brendon Murphy

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:34:25 am

Nope, no precomp...

Return to posts index

Brendon MurphyRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 14, 2013 at 6:20:44 am

hmm. If the problem were rasterization, the edges would be jagged, not just blurry. I haven’t seen your project, so here are a few more questions to help troubleshoot:

-Does your comp have a camera and your vector layer has the 3d switch enabled?

-Is depth of field option on your camera enabled? If it is, try toggling it off to see if it’s a focus distance problem.

-Is motion bur enabled for your comp and the layer? If so, maybe you are viewing a frame that’s in the middle of an animation. Toggle the setting to test.

-Is your computer monitor resolution set to the correct/recommended size? I know you’d notice this in Illustrator as well, but can’t hurt to ask!

-Is there an unnoticed adjustment layer or effect acting on the vector layer?

-Is there an 8 bit-only effect working on your vector layer? Also, some distort effects (like bulge) will blur the distorted part of your image, as if its rasterizing the portion of the layer it acts on.

-Do you have “draft quality” turned on for the layer (jagged backslash instead of smooth forward-slash)

-Do you have “aspect ratio correct” turned on for a square pixel comp? Do you have it turned off for a non square-pixel comp?

-Is “Fast Previews” turned on (near the aspect ratio correction button)

-Also remember that the quality of your RAM preview settings can be different than your working resolution.

Brendon Murphy

Return to posts index

by on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:50:50 am

Thanks for your help first of all!

None of the above is the problem though, unfortunately. Except for maybe one thing:
"-Do you have “aspect ratio correct” turned on for a square pixel comp? Do you have it turned off for a non square-pixel comp?"
I don't really know what you mean by this and how I should check this.

Also, it may be that I've found the problem myself, but I can't check if it's true. I've made my Illustrator file on a Mac, and want to edit the After Effecs file on a PC (I can't install AE on the Mac because the system preferences don't match and currently updating to Mavericks which is taking HOURS. But that is a whole different problem)
Could this be it? Just the simple fact that Mac and PC dont't work well together?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:26:02 pm

[Anoek Houben] "Could this be it? Just the simple fact that Mac and PC dont't work well together?"

I bounce back and forth between Macs and PCs regularly -- I don't think this is the problem.

Can you post some screenshots showing your whole UI and the problem in the viewer panel?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:09:28 am

Oh my God. I've figured it out, and it is the most stupid thing ever (it usually is with these kinds of problems but anyways).
I have this small object which had a little transparency with it, which AE doesn't like apparently. I just set it back at 100% in Illustrator, and adjusted the transparency in AE, and that fixed the problem.

Return to posts index

Brad SimonRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on May 6, 2015 at 5:50:44 pm

I had a similar problem in that a scaled up font was blurry. I found that if I changed to a different font, it corrected the problem. Not sure why the first font was blurry though.

Return to posts index

Dean MosierRe: Vector images still blurry WITH continuously rasterize on
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 4:18:58 pm

I just had a similar problem working with an Illustrator file in AE. I pre-comped my scene with the graphics and was controlling my camera work outside of that pre-comp. When I zoomed in I noticed my vector was getting blurry even though continuous rasterized was on all layers and pre-comps. The fix is to go into your Camera Options and turn off depth of field. At least that fixed it for me. I know I'm late to replying to your problem, but hopefully this helps in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]