ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave kocan't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 12:00:39 pm

exporting from AE to AME to render 768x1377 mpeg2, where 768 is the width and 1377 the height. AME will not let me change the resolution larger than 1088. anyone know of a workaround or recommend a mpeg2 converter that is resolution independent.

thanks in advance!
dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 4:25:58 pm

This sounds like an HD file... but not not really.

MPEG2 is EXTREMELY picky about the horizontal and vertical dimensions of its files, and your dimensions don't qualify as normal HD.

If we knew more about the kind of file you're expected to deliver -- the delivery specifications would be good, as well as knowing how it's being used -- we could be of more help to you.

Return to posts index

dave koRe: can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 4:36:06 pm

I just need to deliver an mpeg2 file using those dimensions. I'm basically scaling down a 1080p file and making it vertical orientation. But when I go to render in AME it doesn't like the height of 1377 and maxes out at 1088 so it creates a 608x1088.is there an mpeg2 conversion software you could recommend that would allow resolution independence?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:22:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:25:11 pm

[dave ko] ". I'm basically scaling down a 1080p file and making it vertical orientation."

Oh. What is being used to play this file back? I suspect it's a standard playback device, which means it expects to see a standard mpeg2 file. To put it into a vertical orientation, you and the client agree on which way to rotate the monitor: clockwise or counterdclockwise.

Or you can simply make TWO versions: one with the top on the left, the other with the top on the right. Then the client can't screw it up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:56:23 pm

the playback device is a windows based computer, but they are requesting mpeg2 for some reason. any ideas? i'm not sure how the end user's system is set up.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:44:54 pm

I have a great idea: talk to them.

Ask questions about their playback device, and what they're using for a vertical display. Ask them why the feel they specifically need mpeg2, if necessary. Get the information you need to to the job for them the right way the first time. I doubt very much they'll think less of you; on the contrary, they'll most likely think you're being very thorough.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:50:00 pm

thanks dave. i appreciate the help. i have asked my producer to put me in touch with the technical person in charge of the playback and have been waiting to hear back. in the mean time i've been trying to do what i can, in case there was an straight forward solution.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 11:06:54 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Oh. What is being used to play this file back? I suspect it's a standard playback device, which means it expects to see a standard mpeg2 file. To put it into a vertical orientation, you and the client agree on which way to rotate the monitor: clockwise or counterdclockwise. Or you can simply make TWO versions: one with the top on the left, the other with the top on the right. Then the client can't screw it up."

Great advice. Portrait (vertical) video is almost always delivered as sideways landscape (horizontal) video.

As Dave says, this is a conversation you need to have with a technician on the display side.

Also, you may not need to make the file at the crazy 1366x768 resolution yourself; the player or the display may be able to scale live from your 1080p source. Another question for the display tech.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 11:14:44 pm

Thanks. I work primarily in the broadcast realm so these specialized display monitors with strange resolutions are somewhat new to me. So waiting to hear back from the producer but I did deliver them at left and right rotated version in landscape orientation. So we we'll see. Strange that you can render all sorts of strange resolutions in other codecs but mpeg2 is so picky. Thanks again everyone. But just it of curiosity if anyone figures out a way to render or convert to 768x1366 as an MPEG2,i'd be very interested.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 4:38:09 pm

MPEG2 is generally supposed to conform to some pretty rigorous profiles to ensure playback compatibility.

That said, ffmpeg should successfully make non-compliant MPEG2 at weird resolutions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:53:53 pm

i've been playing around with ffmpeg and the avanti gui and i can't get it to work. can i just hire you to convert it for me? such a small thing, that's becoming a headache. or do you have any other suggestions for mpeg2 converters?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: can't render mpeg2 at larger height beyond 1088pixels
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:55:05 pm

[dave ko] "AME will not let me change the resolution larger than 1088."

That is because MPEG2 is not specced for that. The max resolution seems to be 1920x1088. You can try and make some weird resolutions with whatever software but there's a chance that it won't work as it's supposed to. The codec specs are there for a reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]