ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Oh crap! Project overwritten by save comp as project script!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Goodman
Oh crap! Project overwritten by save comp as project script!
on Dec 10, 2013 at 4:16:58 pm

I've just used the save composition as project script, but rather than creating a new project, it overwrote my entire project file. All I did was create a new comp, put the object I wanted in that comp, had it selected in the project panel, and clicked save comp. At first it errored, then it said complete. Low and behold, project overwritten.

What's worse - I'm not sure when it happened, but apparently my autosave was turned off, so I have no previous versions of the project.

Anyone know of any miracles that can restore a previous version of my project? Pretty sure I'm screwed. I don't have time machine.

Thanks,

George

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: Oh crap! Project overwritten by save comp as project script!
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:25:11 pm

If its still open you can undo back as far as possible.

You can avoid this in the future by making your saves iterative. Then you can always go back.

In the future. .. never have only one copy of an AE project.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:57:32 pm

[mathew fuller] "You can avoid this in the future by making your saves iterative. Then you can always go back. In the future. .. never have only one copy of an AE project."

Such important advice.

Mathew's referring to Increment and Save (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S on Windows, Cmd+Shift+Opt+S on Macs). This will add/increment a number to your current project file name, leaving previous versions on the disk. I do this at least every couple hours to protect previous work in case something goes sideways.

If you happen to be using Dropbox, you should be able to restore an older version of the project file. Otherwise, it's possible you might get lucky with an undelete utility, but good practice upfront like Mathew describes is best.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:50:59 pm

Undo didn't work.

Fortunately I did have two copies...kinda - this was version 2.

Cost me about 10 hrs.

Pretty upset at the script though. Going forward I will always make duplicate versions of projects before attempting to run it. I've also, of course, enabled autosave. Must have disabled itself during an update - also unfortunate. I'll look in to iterative saves.

Thanks,

G

Return to posts index

Mike Abbott
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:50:51 pm

Hi George,
I just happened to stumble over this thread when I was here posting something else.

As it happens - I've just had the same experience of 'save comp as project' overwriting a file.

I think it was a due to some comp names I was processing having an illegal Windows file name character - ie any one of: < > : " / | ? *

I think I had a "/" in a comp name.

I'm going to try and run a brief test today and report back to the author.

Mike

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20:15 pm

Yes Mike, this is exactly what happened to me. I was suspect that is what caused it - but now you've totally confirmed it. I included a "/" in the name as well.

Return to posts index

Mike Abbott
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:50:56 pm

George - and others:

I've been in touch with Seb, the script author, and sent a test file - so he's aware of the issue. Hopefully a fix will follow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]