ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon Waitmaneasily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:37:14 am

Hey - I have 10 image files with the numbers 0 through 9, and I want to create a 5-minute countdown timer with them. (i know how to create a regular timer from an established font, but these are, unfortunately just image files). Is there any relatively quick, easy way to do this? (I know I could do it manually, but prefer not to if I don't have to). Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:06:16 am

Give us a bit more information- what kind of countdown do you want? Do you need to have a time counter that shows seconds counting down over the stills you have or you just need the files to change from 9 to 0 in the span of 5 minutes? If it's the latter, import all files (9 to 0) as a sequence, apply time remap and stretch to 5 min, or, depending on what frame rate you work at, divide 5 min by ten and set each still for that number of frames one after the other.
If you need to show seconds counting down, you can comp on top a text layer (or numbers) time remaped... but it's hard to say without seeing the actual images.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Lon WaitmanRe: easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:50:25 am

Hey Tudor,

Sorry - what I meant is a 5 minute timer, starting at 5:00 and counting down 4:59, 4:58, 4:57, etc., every second, so there will be 60 images every minute. The image files are the 10 files with all the numbers I will need: 1, 2, 3, etc. I know I could do this easily with any font in AE, but none of them have the look I want -- that is why I am using still images of numbers.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 11, 2013 at 7:47:30 am

Ok, now it makes more sense. Are the number images with alpha? If so, you could import the stills (9 to 0) on separate layers and then create 3 separate clips with alpha - one where each still layer is a second long (all layers =10 sec), the second with 10 seconds (just 5 to 0 to make up 1 minute) and the third 1 minute (4 to 0, to make 5 min). Then you can build your countdown.
Are you sure though you can't find the font?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Lon WaitmanRe: easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:58:21 am

Hey Tudor,

Yes - I figured it would be something like that. But thank you for laying it out so clearly for me. And unfortunately, there is no static version of the font I want -- only an animated one (Isotype). That is why I, apparently, need to manually build a timer. (I had been wondering if there might be some sort of expression or other shortcut for this process) But thank you very much for your time. Merry Christmas!!!

Lon

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: easily create a 5-minute countdown timer from image files?...
by on Dec 11, 2013 at 12:35:29 pm

You might try the Expression Forum, someone might have a way of working it out for you.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]