ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Snow" Explodes When Text Lands

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Osika
"Snow" Explodes When Text Lands
on Dec 6, 2013 at 5:14:37 pm

Here's the effect I want to create:

Text flies into frame using a simple effect and "lands" on the background. When the text lands, I'd like snow to shoot up as though it landed in the snow. I'm using After Effects 11 (CS6) without any additional plugins.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: "Snow" Explodes When Text Lands
on Dec 6, 2013 at 5:23:17 pm

CC Particle World can do that. I'd make custom snowflake particles, which isn't too tough. Cycore has a good user manual on the CC effects on its web site; they made the effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:34:06 pm

Dave hit the nail on the head. I've done this effect for many generations of Ski Reports, and the native AE plugin will do the trick. I would suggest that if you want it to be snowing, as well as have the snow "splash" happen, that you use two separate particle systems on two different layers. The trick with the impact will be the timing; the force of the hit moves the snow fast, then gravity takes over, and it drifts down more lightly. Here's a good example:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12:23 pm

Excellent! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to give this a try.

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:22:48 pm

Okay, a new related question ...

Is it possible to make particles shoot outwards from the edges of a mask? For instance, if I create a mask from text, how can I make the particles start from the edge of the mask and fire outwards?

Thanks again!

Ryan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 8, 2013 at 1:39:14 pm

You can with Trapcode Particular, though it's not exactly shooting from the edge of a mask. For example in your text example, you would create a text layer with stroke only and precomp it. Turn the precomp into a 3D layer and then on your Particular layer change the emitter type to "Layer" and the "Layer Emitter" to your text precomp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]